Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car wont start when cold. (procharger)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Car wont start when cold. (procharger)

if you turn off the radio and just turn the key on and listen you should hear a buzzing sound, coming from the back of the car, you may need to open the drives door. but with mine I can actually hear the fuel, of course I have duel pump system, but you should hear the fuel pump come on. Maybe have someone stand outside the car and listen. Have you pulled a plug? If so what is the coloring on the tips? What is the A/F from your tune? Can you scan it to your computer and post it?
My first tuner didn't think the car was too rich either, but it was very rich and hard to start on cooler mornings.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

right sounds rich to me too! When you start the car when cold it has a different program that runs until warm and than switches to another program/system (computer) with different parameters. So when you go to your tuner again have him leave it out over night or in a cold shop and see if he can start it up. He will see the problem and can adj from there. I think someone said you go from a closed system to an open system (or vise versa) after the car is warm and I am speaking of the computer that monitors everything and keeps the car running right. Anyone know what I am talking about and if so chime in and correct me if i am wrong. Get the car dynoed and tuned on start up from sitting out overnight. Have your tuner setup the car (on ther dyno) and see what shows when starting the car on the computer......bet it is real rich and flooding the motor....JMO J
Old 11-29-2007, 07:32 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

That is a tuning issue most likely. Call HPP motorsports and get them to fix it. This is a problem several tuners bumped into when first tuning the S197. -Joe
Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Sounds odd for sure. 10 degrees difference in ambient temperature shouldn't make a lick of difference to the car.

By cycle the fuel pump he means he turns the key on, then off, then on again.

My fuel pumps make a nice little chirp when they shut off, anyone else here a chirp when they click off?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM
tlme2waste

ORIGINAL: jbailer

That is a tuning issue most likely. Call HPP motorsports and get them to fix it. This is a problem several tuners bumped into when first tuning the S197. -Joe

HPP doesnt know what is wrong. They tuned it 5-6 times already lol. Hopefully ill get it fixed soon
Old 11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Sounds odd for sure. 10 degrees difference in ambient temperature shouldn't make a lick of difference to the car.

By cycle the fuel pump he means he turns the key on, then off, then on again.

My fuel pumps make a nice little chirp when they shut off, anyone else here a chirp when they click off?
After working with my fuel pumps for a few weeks mine never chirp whenturned off. When I turn the key it does a quick shot of gas from the pumps you, I can also hearthe pumps running, youcan only hear it if you have the back seat cushion removed. No sound when I shut the pumps off.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:17 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

I have a similar problem with both the VMP and Brenspeed tunes when starting the car since the weather got colder. It's like the car is struggling to start in the morning. Once it's warmed up no problem at all.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:59 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

you may want to contact tony at hp-performance he fixed my tune and it starts fine in the morning even when it is in the 30's.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

After working with my fuel pumps for a few weeks mine never chirp whenturned off. When I turn the key it does a quick shot of gas from the pumps you, I can also hearthe pumps running, youcan only hear it if you have the back seat cushion removed. No sound when I shut the pumps off.
You have the gt500 dual pumps? When I say turn off, i mean after the initial 5 seconds they run when the key is turned to the on position. After 5 seconds the pumps stop running until you start the car.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 PM
jeostang

Hey man, I have the same problem. My car won't star below a certian temp. If you hold the gas pedal to the floor and start it I bet you it will start right up. As soon as it catches release the gas pedal so you don't over rev it. I've had to do this on other mod mustangs when they seem to be flooded. I believe holding the gas to the floor tells the PCM to cut fuel delivery to the engine. Give that I try and I bet it will start. I don't drive my car much in the winter but I pulled it out of the garage to wash it and had to perform this. Just remember to release the gas just before or right when its about to catch. My tuner said that this is a tuning issue with blown s197 cars. I'm going to take mine to him and leave it overnight when the temps get in the teens so he can tune it out.

Quick Reply: Car wont start when cold. (procharger)