Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Noob GT owner - 3V motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM
JasonGed

Default Noob GT owner - 3V motor questions

Hello all,

I just bought a 2008 GT Premium, Automatic, Candy Apple, Black Leather, Shaker 1000, 18" rims, etc etc. I have not yet driven the car since I am in Iraq for 36 more days. My question is about the new S197. I have owned an 86 5.0 LX, a 96 V6 and a 2002 V6, but am new to the S197. I want to know about the engine, auto trans, BF Goodrich Tires, the Shaker 1000, and anything else that you can tell me. Iknow hot to drive, but not in the new GT, so any advice is glady appreciated.
Also, if anyone knows of a good source for engine videos (like a cut-away video, or maybe something by Ford) to teach me all about the 3V, please attach a link. Thanks much and I look foward to talking with you all.

Jason from Iraq.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Noob GT owner - 3V motor questions

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I'm assuming that you are in the military. If so, thank you for your service to our country, it is greatly appreciated. Secondly, I also own an auto and to be honest with you, I didn't like it until I got JLT II intake and B@MA chips 93 octane tunes. The car shifts much harder and even chirps 3rd gear, though I Have 17 inch rims. The 3 valve engine uses two valves for intake and one for exhaust. Most guys see about 260-270 rear wheel horse power stock but i'm sure the auto is slightly lower. I'm not completely sure because I've never had mine dyno'd.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:14 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Also I forgot to add that the car comes tuned for 87 octane fuel from the factory. There is no point in adding a higher octane to the tank unless you get the car retuned. You will only be wasting money
Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I really have nothing important to add to this thread other than I hope you are safe bud!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Get a CaI and tune from Doug and your car will come alive
Old 12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/A17F5D5F5B4F4F62AF1705FABF09C673.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Hi Jason - congrats on your new purchase. Its a sweet car and I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of it. The 4.6L Modular motor has been around a long time, its a Ford staple. What Ford did for the S197 is to put on new 3V heads. I have been told that the heads and intake manifold flow very well and Ford really did a bang up job. In spite of this success on the engine, Ford put on a pretty restrictive intake, air box and filter. They also *detuned* it in effect. So basically what you will have is a great car thats just waiting for you to let loose the potential. One of the first things you will notice is the throttle response - to be blunt it s**ks. My old Nissan Pathfinder had better response. Also, with the Auto trany, Ford set the shift points pretty conservatively. These things have combined to make the 4.6L Auto somewhat of a dog in many people's opinion (kind of depends on your persepctive). But, the solution is simple: Spend about $700 to buy an aftermarket Cold Air Intake, tuner (a small computer)and new custom engine tune. This will do away with the restrictive intake, greatly improve the response, add 20+ horsepower and, on the Auto, change your shift points to be more aggressive, especially WOT.

The car is pretty big and heavy but handles well for a factory car of its size. Its got a bit of understeer dialed in. The platform is very solid, much more so than on your old Stangs. Little chassis flex. The stock exhaust note is just fine for many - nice throaty sound but a bit too quite in my opinion. Lots of aftermarket mufflers to change the sound, very easy to install. The car is exceedingly easy to customize and their are tons of companies waiting to help you do so.

For more specifics on the engine try a google search on 4.6L Ford Modular V8
Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What all the above said, plus there are a ton of appearance mods that'll make heads turn even more than they already do.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:47 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums...as stated above this car has one of the biggest aftermarkets I have ever seen for a single car...we are very lucky...DEFINITELY get a CAI and a tune combo from Bama (since you are an auto) Brenspeed for manuals...then an axle back exhaust for some sound...dont be shy on the questions, keep em coming
Old 12-05-2007, 03:11 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forums. if u got questions you've come to the right place, bc everyone's got an answer for ya. but u no how opinions go, everyones got one. I know once you drive your s197 your gonna love it, and with each mod it will be even better. just one piece of advice, do research before you buy a mod, bc it sucks to buy something only later to find out that there's something better.

Quick Reply: Noob GT owner - 3V motor questions