Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Problem with 1st (possible synchro?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:41 PM
dbspcl
1st Gear Member

Default Problem with 1st (possible synchro?)

Hi guys, this is a question for the MT owners. Sometimes when I am a stop and I try to put it in 1st it just won't go - period. It feels like it is hitting some sort of stop. I can force it in and sometimes I get a click and it will go in (other times it will stay half-in and then when I take off, it pops out and will not go back in, grinds, synchro has to engage first).

If I pull it into 2nd and then back into 1st, it is completely smooth and engages fine. It also feels like my old '84 T-5 used to when going into reverse - sometimes you had to go into neutral first otherwise no way it will go into reverse.

So, I'm thinking this is a problem with the synchro for 1st. I only have 10K miles on it and it's been happening since at least 5K. I've taken it to the dealer twice and they claim they can't reproduce the problem. I've tried to find a pattern (i.e., stopping with downshifting through each gear, coasting to a stop and then going into 1st, putting it in neutral first, etc.) but have not been able to.

Any ideas? This is with my stock shifter - I have not put the tri-ax in yet and am not sure if I want to do it at this point (don't want the dealer to claim the problem is with the shifter).

--
dbspcl
'07 GT coupe stick, tungsten-grey metallic, appearance package, interior upgrade, Eibach springs, adjustable panhard, 20" black Foose Nitrous, Roush quarter-window louvers, Steeda tri-ax, Webelectric sequentials
Old 12-05-2007, 07:36 PM
CliffyDeuce
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Problem with 1st (possible synchro?)

I've had other cars act like that - I never really thought about it too much, just go to 2nd then 1st if it didn't want to go smoothly at first, but I've never noticed it on my Mustang. Are you always at a complete stop before shifting into 1st?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

I've noticed it when trying to put it in first when moving but not stopped.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

I only have problems goin into first when rolling. The synchros seem to not function right, but when I'm stopped, no problems here
Old 12-06-2007, 02:12 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

It's not a problem. It's quite normal in fact. Basically, when you stop, the gears aren't properly lined up to mesh well, so it won't go into gear. By putting it into another gear (and ANY gear would do, not just 2nd) It's moving the gears slightly enough for first to then go in.

As for not getting into first while moving... that is also by design. The gears for first spin much faster than the rest of the trans, so the synchro's have to work harder and it takes longer for the gear to get in. Three things will help get into first on the move:
1. Blip the throttle to match the RPM's to where you would be moving in 1st.
2. double clutch. This bypasses the synchro's and gets all the gear sspinning agt the same rate again
3. don't go for first until your stopped, or very nearly. 2nd gear is more than capable enough to accelerate in if your not stopped unless your racing.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:33 PM
dbspcl
1st Gear Member

I understand the issue with going into 1st when moving - I'm quite used to it and sure, there's some pushback, etc. and you have to double-clutch or blip the rpm's.

What I'm referring to is when I'm always at a complete stop (waiting for a light to change, etc.). I'm surprised that this is normal behavior - I understand what you're saying about the gears not being lined up, but would have expected much more complaining, etc.

Why does no-one else notice this? Does everyone sometimes have to go into 2nd before 1st when at a complete stop?

--
dbspcl
'07 GT coupe stick, tungsten-grey metallic, appearance package, interior upgrade, Eibach springs, adjustable panhard, 20" black Foose Nitrous, Roush quarter-window louvers, Steeda tri-ax, Webelectric sequentials
Old 12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Incorrect bud. All of the gears are ALWAYS meshed in the transmissions of all newer cars like ours.

The only thing that changes your gear ratio is a sliding collar that connects the output shaft to a gear combo. Ex. when in 1st, all the other gears are meshed but do not recieve force...

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

It's not a problem. It's quite normal in fact. Basically, when you stop, the gears aren't properly lined up to mesh well, so it won't go into gear. By putting it into another gear (and ANY gear would do, not just 2nd) It's moving the gears slightly enough for first to then go in.

As for not getting into first while moving... that is also by design. The gears for first spin much faster than the rest of the trans, so the synchro's have to work harder and it takes longer for the gear to get in. Three things will help get into first on the move:
1. Blip the throttle to match the RPM's to where you would be moving in 1st.
2. double clutch. This bypasses the synchro's and gets all the gear sspinning agt the same rate again
3. don't go for first until your stopped, or very nearly. 2nd gear is more than capable enough to accelerate in if your not stopped unless your racing.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dbspcl

Why does no-one else notice this? Does everyone sometimes have to go into 2nd before 1st when at a complete stop?
I do, but notevery time..
Old 12-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 22kart22

I only have problems goin into first when rolling. The synchros seem to not function right, but when I'm stopped, no problems here

Your never supposed to go into First if your car is moving at all....only from a dead stop....and also should never down shift to first either
Old 12-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dbspcl

Hi guys, this is a question for the MT owners. Sometimes when I am a stop and I try to put it in 1st it just won't go - period. It feels like it is hitting some sort of stop. I can force it in and sometimes I get a click and it will go in (other times it will stay half-in and then when I take off, it pops out and will not go back in, grinds, synchro has to engage first).

If I pull it into 2nd and then back into 1st, it is completely smooth and engages fine. It also feels like my old '84 T-5 used to when going into reverse - sometimes you had to go into neutral first otherwise no way it will go into reverse.

So, I'm thinking this is a problem with the synchro for 1st. I only have 10K miles on it and it's been happening since at least 5K. I've taken it to the dealer twice and they claim they can't reproduce the problem. I've tried to find a pattern (i.e., stopping with downshifting through each gear, coasting to a stop and then going into 1st, putting it in neutral first, etc.) but have not been able to.

Any ideas? This is with my stock shifter - I have not put the tri-ax in yet and am not sure if I want to do it at this point (don't want the dealer to claim the problem is with the shifter).

--
dbspcl
Totally normal. Every 5 speed I've ever owned has done this. If it doesn't engage 1st easily, I just shift it to reverse and then back to first. Works every time.

Quick Reply: Problem with 1st (possible synchro?)