Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

engine mods to safely increase PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: engine mods to safely increase PSI?

ORIGINAL: Turbo_stangGT

ORIGINAL: LMM1967

Go buy yourself a block now - start collecting forge internals, build that as a short block, get the car, yank the heads etc, bolt the SC on thatand then place that in your car.

Sell the almost brand new stock short block that came with the carto recoup a portion of your money and help pay for clutch, driveshaft, suspension etc.
uuhh..hhmm..not too excited about yaking out a new motor and replacing it with a built one on a brand spanking new car lol.[:'(]

I will see how much hp will keep me happy on the stock block/sc..450-470whp are still some awesome numbers,not exactly slow or anything...
For those who have never expereinced it, that's alot of power. Not saying you haven't but, it's alot. The rotating assembly is the weakest link, rods, pistons and crank. Mostly the pistons and rods. Some will replace head studs and put in a windage tray and add all sorts of supporting mods. The bottom line is the rotating assembly. You can use your own block, but you can also find a cheap used one and replace the guts.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Simon1

ORIGINAL: Turbo_stangGT

ORIGINAL: LMM1967

Go buy yourself a block now - start collecting forge internals, build that as a short block, get the car, yank the heads etc, bolt the SC on thatand then place that in your car.

Sell the almost brand new stock short block that came with the carto recoup a portion of your money and help pay for clutch, driveshaft, suspension etc.
uuhh..hhmm..not too excited about yaking out a new motor and replacing it with a built one on a brand spanking new car lol.[:'(]

I will see how much hp will keep me happy on the stock block/sc..450-470whp are still some awesome numbers,not exactly slow or anything...
For those who have never expereinced it, that's alot of power. Not saying you haven't but, it's alot. The rotating assembly is the weakest link, rods, pistons and crank. Mostly the pistons and rods. Some will replace head studs and put in a windage tray and add all sorts of supporting mods. The bottom line is the rotating assembly. You can use your own block, but you can also find a cheap used one and replace the guts.
ditto..that's one of the main reasons I kinda want an auto..with so much power on tap,I don't think it really would matter too much (assuming that it has a built converter) and it will definelty pick up speed real quick regardless lol.

If I can just getting away with slapping on a SC on a stock block and make the numbers they claim to the wheels..I just may keep it like that without touching a thing with the safe tune/boost levels and all.

I have fun driving my moms new ford edge and that thing hauls for having only like 250 bhp...I can only imagine twice that much to the wheels and with a smaller car lol.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:11 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Who said anything about 16psi? I do know that the stock motor (in particular the internals) have limits. You sound very familiar in the way you write your posts...... I agree you have a wealth of knowledge but in general it is a good fact for lower boost and less than 500 RWHP and every tuner has their own opinions on how to tune and whats causing the internals to blow. (which is where I got the fact from). JMO J
ORIGINAL: modaddict

ORIGINAL: mygt500

I would do the rods and pistons. You are fine with the cams you have and the rods are the weakest link in the motor! JMO but others will chime in. Many agree that 450 RWHP is the limit of what the motor can handle safely (regardless of boost). Remember boost doesn't destroy pistons it is poor tuning w/ resultant detonation that blows motors! JMO J
Come on - that's not accurate. If you gave the car an ultra conservative 9º of timing and ran it pig rich to be the safest possible, you would still send your rods into daylight with 16 psi. tuning is critical, I agree, but even a good tune will destroy your stock motor if you throw too much at it...

For the poster... Cams and everything else in valve train mean nothing. The upgraded valve train only comes into play when you want to spin the car a lot higher. In the case of centrifugal blowers, this is a good way to increase boost levels on the same pulley. No, to safeguard your motor with bigger boost and power levels, you want to upgrade your rods and pistons at the very least.

If you are on a budget, the stock crank will hold for some decent power and the block is fine. Upgrade your rods and pistons and with a good tune, fuel system upgrades, some minor other engine mods you can be knocking on the 600 door.
Thats exactly whatI said in slightly different words!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I wasn't commenting on your recommendations. it was great advice. I was commenting on where you said boost doesn't destroy rods. Boost has more to do with snapping the rods than HP does. I wasn't disagreeing with you - more clarifying what you were saying...

If you look at the guys making 500 rwhp on the stock and the guys making 440 rwhp on the stock motor you'll find the majority are all doing it with 11 psi or less. The difference is some tuners are able to get more safely out of the tunes than others. This is why I don't think saying '450' is a 'limit'. I think it's more accurate to say 10 psi is the limit and whatever your tuner can get safely HP wise out of it is what your 'limit' will be.

To me, boost has MORE to do with what the rods will take then the dyno HP number. That is what I was commenting on from your post. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 12-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

i agree ^^^^

Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Well -ok can't argue that logic! Makes sense and thanks for the follow -up! J
ORIGINAL: modaddict

I wasn't commenting on your recommendations. it was great advice. I was commenting on where you said boost doesn't destroy rods. Boost has more to do with snapping the rods than HP does. I wasn't disagreeing with you - more clarifying what you were saying...

If you look at the guys making 500 rwhp on the stock and the guys making 440 rwhp on the stock motor you'll find the majority are all doing it with 11 psi or less. The difference is some tuners are able to get more safely out of the tunes than others. This is why I don't think saying '450' is a 'limit'. I think it's more accurate to say 10 psi is the limit and whatever your tuner can get safely HP wise out of it is what your 'limit' will be.

To me, boost has MORE to do with what the rods will take then the dyno HP number. That is what I was commenting on from your post. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 12-08-2007, 08:02 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

The "one big mod" S/C upgrade will get you some serious grins. A complete kit can be bought, and regardless of the brand, you can get an easy 10 psi, without worrying about internals. That 10 psi will put you in the 450-475 rwhp range.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

The "one big mod" S/C upgrade will get you some serious grins. A complete kit can be bought, and regardless of the brand, you can get an easy 10 psi, without worrying about internals. That 10 psi will put you in the 450-475 rwhp range.
lol that's EXACTLY what I am couting on! this year when first buying the car and breaking it in a little bit while getting used to a rwd,hefty car as well as modding it with the basics first intake/headers/exhaust,suspension etc. then next year will come the blower...
Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

which is a good site to get rods and pistons?? these are the only two mods to do in terms of engine work when wanting to increase boost to 10-11psi??
Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 AM
Thief_of_Hearts
I ♥ Acer

bump for answors on the rods/pistons question.

Quick Reply: engine mods to safely increase PSI?