Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

engine mods to safely increase PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

Default engine mods to safely increase PSI?

What are the minimum required engine mods in order to safely run more boost with a SC?
Getting the car in April maybe sooner and the SC will be next years project,want to maybe put in some mods into the engine to handle a little more boost.

I am assuming safe boost levels are 8-9,I want something maybe like 11-12.
Without going 'kaboom' lol.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: engine mods to safely increase PSI?

cams and springs only?

kewls...
Old 12-06-2007, 03:35 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I would do the rods and pistons. You are fine with the cams you have and the rods are the weakest link in the motor! JMO but others will chime in. Many agree that 450 RWHP is the limit of what the motor can handle safely (regardless of boost). Remember boost doesn't destroy pistons it is poor tuning w/ resultant detonation that blows motors! JMO J
Old 12-06-2007, 04:01 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

sweet..I need a side project until the SC,which is no big deal really..just one big bolt on and tune.Should be pretty bad *** with the engine internals to run a higher boost level.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:51 AM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbo_stangGT

cams and springs only?

kewls...
All that would do would give you a little more top end RPM safe play.
Forged internals is what you need.
our blocks are better than a Tekskid, ao no need to replace that til around 8-900 rwhp.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:45 AM
LMM1967
1st Gear Member

Go buy yourself a block now - start collecting forge internals, build that as a short block, get the car, yank the heads etc, bolt the SC on thatand then place that in your car.

Sell the almost brand new stock short block that came with the carto recoup a portion of your money and help pay for clutch, driveshaft, suspension etc.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
gloryboy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

I would do the rods and pistons. You are fine with the cams you have and the rods are the weakest link in the motor! JMO but others will chime in. Many agree that 450 RWHP is the limit of what the motor can handle safely (regardless of boost). Remember boost doesn't destroy pistons it is poor tuning w/ resultant detonation that blows motors! JMO J
1+ Anything to avoid detonation.....conservative tune(not too much timing), colder range plugs, good fuel setup(you don't want to run lean up high). Make sure you get an intercooled s/c. Some kits come w/o it(cooler intake air helps avoid detonation). Stock block isstout, but get yourself a forged rotating assembly if you plan on putting down more than 500rwhp.Good prep now will save you big $ later on.........
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yep, forging
Old 12-06-2007, 03:00 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Come on - that's not accurate. If you gave the car an ultra conservative 9ยบ of timing and ran it pig rich to be the safest possible, you would still send your rods into daylight with 16 psi. tuning is critical, I agree, but even a good tune will destroy your stock motor if you throw too much at it...

For the poster... Cams and everything else in valve train mean nothing. The upgraded valve train only comes into play when you want to spin the car a lot higher. In the case of centrifugal blowers, this is a good way to increase boost levels on the same pulley. No, to safeguard your motor with bigger boost and power levels, you want to upgrade your rods and pistons at the very least.

If you are on a budget, the stock crank will hold for some decent power and the block is fine. Upgrade your rods and pistons and with a good tune, fuel system upgrades, some minor other engine mods you can be knocking on the 600 door.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LMM1967

Go buy yourself a block now - start collecting forge internals, build that as a short block, get the car, yank the heads etc, bolt the SC on thatand then place that in your car.

Sell the almost brand new stock short block that came with the carto recoup a portion of your money and help pay for clutch, driveshaft, suspension etc.
uuhh..hhmm..not too excited about yaking out a new motor and replacing it with a built one on a brand spanking new car lol.[:'(]

I will see how much hp will keep me happy on the stock block/sc..450-470whp are still some awesome numbers,not exactly slow or anything...

Quick Reply: engine mods to safely increase PSI?