Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

back from the dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:35 AM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Default back from the dyno

What is the diffrence between a Mustang dyno and a Dynojet. I put down about 60 less hp and tq on the Dynojet. Is it easy to alter the numbers on a Mustang dyno to show more power than you actually have?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:41 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: back from the dyno

Any dyno can be changed to say whatever number you want. What kind of smoothing did they use on both dynos. Typically the mustang dyno makes less power.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My experence is the dyno jet is only as accurate as the guy who is running it. Setting have to be just perfect and so on. Different dynos show different results depending on the parameters. Mustang dynos generally give more accurate reading.

I'm looking in your sig and saw you changed from the 4.10's to the 3.55's. Im planning this swap along with a detroit locker for this spring. I'm turbo'd also and the short gears aren't helping. What did you think about the switch?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:48 AM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

The gear swap was almost a "Have to" when I put 285-35 drag radials on it,the gear went to about a 4.30. You couldnt go but about 20ft in 1st gear. Do you like your turbo? I was expecting more hard hitting power. I may sell mike and buy a s/c. Hellion told me the turbo would load up better with taller gears.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:51 AM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

In response to Downriver...Im not sure what smoothing is. All I can tell you is the mustang dyno was elavated and the dynojet had a drum in the floor.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:08 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

Okay, so what should look for if I want to get my car dyno?
Old 12-08-2007, 12:22 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blue 05 Mustang

Okay, so what should look for if I want to get my car dyno?
On both dynos I think sae smoothing setting 5 should be used I don't remember whatthe actual settings are corrected to but its near 25' C and 500' elavation. Don't take my word for it I am no expert but from what I remember its close.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:27 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

There are a lot of variances that can account for the difference. A Mustang dyno has more adjustable variables such as weight, gear ratio and so on. It all depends how it was setup. SAE, uncorrected, STD, DIN, ECC, and JIS numbers. Smoothing comes in to play as well, but has a smaller effect on the outcome. It also depends on how long it was since it was calibrated. Obviously temp, humidity and elevation are a big factor as well. Heck, you can make a Mustang dyno show pretty much anything you want with the right trickery, less so on a Dynojet, but you can fool them too.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

He was a thread with this discussion

dyno jet vs mustang dyno
Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Wherever you go to get dynoed, find out what kind of rides they have built and some of their handywork. I have my car dynoed by Murillo Motorsports here in San Antonio. He uses a Mustang Dyno and used the same Dyno to tune his latest project car (fox body with tt mounted in the trunk) to run in the low 9s. If a shop has success with tuning and building great cars, they more than likely take the time to insure they calibrate the dyno correctly. I gladly accept my numbers on the mustang dyno because I was told of the factors used and also was priveledged enough to see the process first hand.

Quick Reply: back from the dyno