Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 AM
EmeryCrump

Default Questions

Hello I am a newbe and have been thinking about adding performance parts to my mustang. I have an 05 mustang gt that is a 5-speed that is all stock. In june i am thinking about getting a turbo or s/c i still haven't decided. My first question is what is the difference between shorty headers and long tube headers? Second is i want to get a cold air intake but i don't want to buy something that won't work with a turbo or s/c. Thanks in advance.

Emery
Old 12-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Questions

If you are going turbo, you don't want to get long tube headers because they will not work with any turbo setup. Shorty headers will give very minimal gains and aren't really worth the money or the hassle. Also most superchargers have their own intake and alot of other CAI's will not match up. If you are 100% sure you will do some sort of FI, you might want to just wait till you have that all planned out.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Just start going through the old posts if the search function isnt working. All the answers you seek are there, and then some. These questions keep coming up every week, so you wont have to dig to long at all.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 PM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

Haze28 is right if you want to go the turbo route then don't get different headers. If you went the supercharger route then longtubes would be a good idea. If you got a cai now and wanted it to work with a supercharger you would need to get a saleen supercharger. That is the only one I know of that you can use the regular cai's. Whipple, kb, vortech, and procharger all have their own intakes.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Gryphon
1st Gear Member

I am in the same boat, I have a 05 stock gt and I want to eventually turbo it which I found a kit, but is there anything else performance wise aside of porting and replacing stuff with forged parts internally? Can anyone recommend a good exhaust setup for a single turbo? Honestly I dont know much about anything relating to cars and Im going off random thoughts, so help is appreciated

Thanks emery for starting this thread I was about to do it myself.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

To be specific about your exact question: "What is the diff between shorty and long tube headers?" - Here is a photo of shorty headers (http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...?idproduct=908). Here is a photo of long tube headers (http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...?idproduct=909).

Shortys are: cheaper, emissions legal, easier to install, only slight upgrade over stock exhaust manifolds. Some guys like them, some don't. Only gain a couple HP.
Long tubes are: more $, usually emissions illegal*, hard to install, significant upgrade over stock in terms of sound and HP (~20HP)

*Long tubes require the removal or replacement of the catalytic converters. This is technically illegal but commonly done. If the state/county in which you reside requires yearly emissions....depending on the test, you may have trouble passing.

Regards the remainder of your questions:
- Installing a turbo will radically alter your exhaust (the turbo operates off the exhaust). If that is your future goal it would be best to only change your mufflers at this point. Save all other exhaust mods until the turbo install.
- Like the other responses say - either a turbo or super charger will require a different intake. So if thats your goal in the future, be aware that installing a CAI now will be replaced in future (although you can resell it).
- Regards turbo, porting and forged internals - these are all separate subjects. They are all separate performance upgrades. Forged Internals *may* be required when installing a turbo but only if you intend to turn the boost way up, i.e. greater than 500 HP. Note that all of these are very expensive, thousands of dollars.
- Other perfomance upgrades? - the list is infinite, limited only by your wallet. Upgrades that add HP - different and/or bigger motor, CAMs, Meth injection, etc. Upgrades that lower weight or rotating mass - flywheel, driveshaft, rear seat delete, lighter wt body parts, etc. Upgrades that more effectively transmit the power you have to the road: suspension, tires, etc.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Stangbanger3v
1st Gear Member

i reccomend just start off by getting a tuner and wait on the CAI untill you decide if u wanna go with FI.. and start going with exhaust i have a S/C with stock headers off rd x pipe and mufflers (bassani) and im pushing 470 to the rear wheels.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Gryphon
1st Gear Member

Thank you guys for the help and suggestions....its much appreciated. Ill prolly end up waiting until I make a commitment for the turbo set up and go from there.

As for the exhaust setup....Ill skip the entire setup and just do a muffler, can you recommend something for me? I dont know where to begin. Price doesnt exactly matter, thanks again in advance for all help.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:40 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Thank you guys for the help and suggestions....its much appreciated. Ill prolly end up waiting until I make a commitment for the turbo set up and go from there.

As for the exhaust setup....Ill skip the entire setup and just do a muffler, can you recommend something for me? I dont know where to begin. Price doesnt exactly matter, thanks again in advance for all help.
boomtubes
Old 12-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Mufflers are a very personal choice. There are a lot of brands, different sounds and different loudness. You need to decide which is right for you: slightly louder than stock, much louder or way loud? Drone or no drone? Go on YouTube and search for 'Mustang Exhaust', 'S917 Exhaust', 'Mustang Pypes Violators', 'Mustang SLP Loudmouths', etc, etc. You could also check if there is a mustang club in your area, contact them and attend the next meeting...there are bound to be a few aftermarket mufflers there. You could also read thru this thread: https://mustangforums.com/m_934495/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Questions