Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Trading the Kenne Bell for the Whipple 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:39 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Trading the Kenne Bell for the Whipple 3.4

I can't wait to see the numbers that come from this project.............

I think they will speak for itself in terms of the Whipple's performance.Efficiency = more hp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuppc...eature=related - 14lbs?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...fd015b2aa2.htm - wanna go to 21 lbs?

Awesome Shelby GT500 5.4L SVT found her soulmate!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sawyer

I asked Adam what he thinks my car will do, and he bet me $100 he could run in the 10's w/o any suspension and granny shifting it (with a tire). I want to see what happens. He said I can got the cage for 1600.00, but I still haul the kids around in it so we will see.
Your the one getting all the "cubes"
You never did check out my cage (the old one) did you? My old cage was trick. The back bar completely removed in 30 seconds with 2 allen bolts. The side bars removed also so on the street I had full use of my back seat and no restrictions at all from the cage. At the track, it took me under 45 seconds to put it back together. That would be the ideal set-up for you as well. I loved my cage above any others I have ever seen...

You are going to need it if you want to run at a track...garunteed.

BTW: Dustin and whipople will NOT be offerring kits for the 3.4 conversion. Adam however, is the only whipple approved and endorsed builder of this conversion. So if anyone is interested, you have to go through ST Motorsports. There is currently 4 of these kits either running or being put together right now. My guess is the list will keep growing. This is a bad **** set-up no doubt. If I didn't have a deal with KB, it would be on my car right now fo' sure... That thing is darn effeceint, Hell, at 16 psi - the thing isn't even breakin' a sweat... heck - it's not even awake...lol

Having given praise though, remember that Ford chose the KB to be in the super snake cars...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Nothing against KB, but I have to assume they went with the lowest bidder. Especially since they already had a relationship with whipple.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:38 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Ah but if you want the stone truth it is because the whipple was not able to meet the advertised HP numbers on pump gas. That is the only reason the whipple is not in the super snakes. Believe me, they tried but in the end, the KB was the only one able to hit 700 on pump gas and 800 on race gas...
Old 01-23-2008, 12:56 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

Ah but if you want the stone truth it is because the whipple was not able to meet the advertised HP numbers on pump gas. That is the only reason the whipple is not in the super snakes. Believe me, they tried but in the end, the KB was the only one able to hit 700 on pump gas and 800 on race gas...
The KB's are great no doubt. I think I got a lemon.....but you can't argue with the IAT's that the 3.4 whipple throws off. A very cold machine indeed. That being said I should se alot more HP on pump over MY KB.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

So they couldnt make 700 with the 3.4 Whipple wow. Interesting.

In the business I am in it is always the lowest bidder even when they say it isnt.

Thanks,
Old 01-23-2008, 01:26 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

So they couldnt make 700 with the 3.4 Whipple wow. Interesting.

In the business I am in it is always the lowest bidder even when they say it isnt.

Thanks,
Normally yes, but in this case ford has a very stout relationship with whipple and was the first choice.

The problem lied in the intake, TB, and manifold set up of the whipple. Adam's custom conversion has changed all this for the 3V and adam is working on a new set-up for the 5.4's also. It's not that they couldn't make 700 - it's that they couldn't make 700 on pump gas meeting fords' tune parameters. (a/f, spark advance, etc. etc) The KB team was able to get the car at 700 rwhp meeting the tune requirements with pump gas.

This does not make one 'better' than the other and I honestly don't know how close whipple was. (perhaps 699?) The fact was the super snake was already advertised as making 700 rwhp on pump gas and KB was able to deliver within Ford's tune requirements. That's all. I don't even know what the tune parameters were but my guess is pretty conservative as they don't want a lot of them coming back...lol

And yea, to say that KB probably didn't offer a 'good price' would be stupid...
Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sawyer

The KB's are great no doubt. I think I got a lemon.....but you can't argue with the IAT's that the 3.4 whipple throws off. A very cold machine indeed. That being said I should se alot more HP on pump over MY KB.
No doubt bro. I have already said (and mean it) that if I didn't have a deal with KB - I'd have that thing on my car. I am PROFOUNDLY impressed with the IAT's of the 3.4 whipple. That thing is the ultimate big power daily driver cause it runs way cooler than anything else out there. I also think it is the ***** best blower for bracket racing for the same reason. I don't think that thing will get hot or even break a sweat until 20+ psi personally.

I put my hand on Ken's 3.4 after a 100 mile cruise and I couldn't even think about doing that with my KB after a 10 mile cruise...[8D] I also saw datalogs of Ken's car after track runs with awesome IAT's across the board and you could hot lap that thing with dead consistent times. (another thing I can't do with my KB)
Old 01-26-2008, 01:13 AM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

Here we go...some progress. More pics and probably some dyno numbers next week. Adam massaged the firewall so he could fit a larger intake manifold on. Adam, a true american hero!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/54455/D2808476A5D24E5BB5A8CB1CE0E79070.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54455/B9219D89B9DB4A698B2F6D9E9BB1B11F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2008, 07:50 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Awesome.

Does the 3.4L have the Gen-2 rotors? I know the 2.9L coming out is going to use the Gen-2's.
I'll have to see how well the new rotors work when I install my Gen-2 2.3L here in a couple weeks. I'll be running the 3.625" pulley, which apparently will put out 10 psi vs the old rotors 8psi.

Quick Reply: Trading the Kenne Bell for the Whipple 3.4