Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

auto or manual??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Green Machine 123
2nd Gear Member

Default auto or manual??

well i own a o6 v6 right now and we r thinkin about trading to a 06 or 05 gt...our car now is manual and the wife refuses to learn to drive it,,,so i thought perfect oppertunity to get my GT....with the auto, is there anything i should look out for if i buy used...for example is there anyway to tell if its been tuned? because i would rather not buy one thats been tuned or messed with in any other way....any input would be great....
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Green Machine 123
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: auto or manual??

also is the automatic any slower then the manual?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Just take it to a shop of your choosing if you decide to buy used and have them check it out first. STock for Stock the Manual is faster. A tuned auto will be as good or better (read faster)than a manual especially in terms of consistency.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 AM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

STock for Stock the Manual is faster.
That is correct.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:09 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I find myself manually shifting in my Auto quite a bit b/c the damn thing is always in one or two gears too high when I need to pass or whatever. Also it usually takes FOREVER to downshift when putting the pedal down. True the Auto will never miss a shift and is better for traffic (but traffic is going to be annoying anyway), but for a long time now, I've been wishing I had the manual. This is why I'm thinking of trading it in on a manual one.

Although I do like that B&amp;M ratchet shifter for the Autos but they STILL haven't released it yet.

I say get the manual. You drive the stang and let your wife drive whatever she has.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:13 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Ditto. Nothing beats a manual 4r70 with the B&M ratchet shifter but if you aren't heavy racing the car - get the manual.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I have no complaints on the Auto, it is fun with the tune. Stock for stock the manual would be faster assuming you can drive it like crazy. On the street, I highly doubt you'd notice the difference off a stoplight as I've found most people aren't very proficient manual drivers.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

You could teach her to drive the manual on your V6 before you trade it in.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:49 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Any input eh? The wife refuses to learn to drive a manual.......find a new wife
Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Decide what's more important in your own range of driving situations- the consistency of an automatic or the involvement of a stick-shift. Straight-line driving and city traffic or corners and country driving.

With a tune, the automatic can be made to shift more quickly, but I couldn't tell you if the easy-driving upshifts would still be harsh like what the shift kits gave you back in the days of all-hydraulic AT's.

The involvement of a stick can increase the fun of driving, but is obviously something that you can't completely get away from. Though with the GT and perhaps 3.55's there's a little more room to get a little lazy from time to time.

--------------------------------------------------------------

What is she afraid of? I'm assuming that she's had her license long enough that she wouldn't be trying to learn to drive stick along with "rules of the road", how to get whereshe's going without getting lost,and all that other stuff.

In my wife's case, initially getting her license with an automatic probably did make it easier for her to pick up the 3-pedal driving, as all the rest of the mental clutter about driving had become second nature. In our son's and daughter's cases, they had to learn to drive stick from the learner-permit get-go, as by that time we no longer owned any AT cars. Still don't, so in a few short years I may end up introducing some of the grandchildren tothis part of driving.

Norm

Quick Reply: auto or manual??