Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Amsoil or Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Amsoil or Royal Purple?

ORIGINAL: mpatilla

...Many experts say to use a synthetic and go every 5000. ...
YOUR experts obviously aren't talking to MY experts...
Old 01-07-2008, 04:27 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

I you dont gun your car and dont have serious mods you can prob go like 7k miles with the oil still being good. For others prob. 3
Old 01-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Blackhawk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

ORIGINAL: Blackhawk

I just did my first change on the new car @2500 miles.

Went with 6qts of Mobil 1 5w20, and a Motorcraft filter = $36.xx

I just got mine done at Ford today and cost only $24.

With 6qts of Mobil 1 full synthetic? What'd they have a 1/2 off New Year's Coupon?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Mobil 1 5W20, Motorcraft filter. Your baby will live long and prosper.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:43 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

I've gone up to 7k on M1 synthetic. ONLY, b/c i do routine oil analysis. The analysis tests gives recommendations of oil cahnge intervals, and that is the real way to determine YOUR car's specific interval change.

Amsoil is def sweeeeet stuff. I'm a dealer and sell it plenty to Honda guys. I have one customer who went 10,200 miles with Amsoil 5w-20 + Amsoil filter in his 02 Honda Civic, daily commute, mixed city/highway driving, no racing (obviously). Did oil analysis, came out great and said the oil sample could've gone up to 15k miles! I try to use amsoil whenever i have spare qts.

anyone wants their own analysis testing kit, its free at blackstonelabs.com. To actually get the oil tested is about ~$20.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:50 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Hers's my experience with RP. I put it in a 1997 F 150 truck that had 13,000 miles on it. The stuff just went bye bye. I was always adding oil to it to top it off. Like 1 qt in 2000 miles. I switched back to regular ole Motorcraft oil and it stayed full through the life of the oil change. I think the RP was vaporizing off. I know it wasn't getting past the rings, valves or seals.
same thing happened to my RSX when i used RP with it stock. had to keep adding oil, and i almost never drove it hard.

Later on, a friend used RP, oil seals on the brand new Precision turbo went bye bye as well. Rebuilt, used with M1, been fine ever since.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Blackhawk
2nd Gear Member

^^ site is no good.

It's blackstone-labs.com
Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I just did my first change on the new car @2500 miles.

Went with 6qts of Mobil 1 5w20, and a Motorcraft filter = $36.xx

I just got mine done at Ford today and cost only $24.

With 6qts of Mobil 1 full synthetic? What'd they have a 1/2 off New Year's Coupon?

I'm not sure what Ford uses for oil, but I know they use a motocraft filter.

This is the price I have paid at my dealer since I got the car in late 06. This is their normal price. My dealer is Covert Ford in Austin, Tx. My first oil change was actually free there since I bought the car there.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

They use a Motorcraft semi synthetic, not M1
Old 01-07-2008, 07:53 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

BTW, how many miles do any of your normally go before changing? Ever since I got my car, Ford writes on that little sticker on the windshield to do it every 3000 miles. For some reason, the last time I had it done at Ford, they put for the next time 6000 miles. I just got it done today at Ford (it's been 5500 miles since the last) and now they write 3000 again.
THAT question is likely to start another war here and has been debated to death. It's a matter of what YOU believe, based upon the tons of conflicting opinions and data, is an acceptable frequency. The Amsoil oil and filter I use is rated for 25,000 miles between oil changes. For severe service they recommend 15,000. I consider the Stang severe service (although I don't race) and I change it at about 10,000 miles. Since I put about 2,000 miles/month on the Stang it gets changed at less than 6 month intervals.

Sorry, I don't mean to start a war. I was just curious what others do based on what I do. My dealer tells me every 3K so that's what I've been doing (except the last time).

I'm thinking I'll just go to like 5K for a while. During the summer when it's hot (and boy does it get hot in Tx) I'll go back to 3K since I do quite a bit of stop and go traffic.

25K miles doesn't seem right to me. I can't see how ANY oil, synthetic or not can last that long in a very hot engine for that many miles. I'm sure the engineers behind that oil know more than I do about that kind of thing, but I would never go that long on one set of oil. To me, 6K is puishing it in a car like the GT. But that's just me.

I used to also put 2K miles each month on mine. But I now work at home two times a week and that has helped a lot. I'm so glad I can do that.

Quick Reply: Amsoil or Royal Purple?