Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

UDP failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default UDP failure

For those running UDP's this is worth reading.

My buddy recently KO'd his brand new DSS Racing motor - all 12k of it. He was using a Steeda crank pulley, which spun on itself just enough to throw the engine out of balance, and it pretty much all went to hell really quick. Of course Steeda's response was basicly "oh well - sorry". For those with warranty concerns, it could happen to anybody with any pulley really. It's probably not worth the risk. It is likely an isolated incident, but it's something to consider.

Also for the record, DSS Racing are great guys and helped out with discounts on replacement parts and have helped in any way they can, which they are not obligated to do. I've personally seen a handful of their engines and their quality and service have been great. The failure had nothing to do with anything on their end.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: UDP failure

This is the first I have ever heard of a UDP failure leading to issues like this. Any chance his installation was corrupt?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Nope. Installation was fine. I was there for it.

It's not exactly common, but there are a number of incidents. This is just the first that I was around for.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

This is the second failure I've heard of. The other one was the welds on the counterweight broke and it fell off while driving. I'm not sure what you mean by "spun on itself". I've been running mine for a couple months now with no problems.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

hmm. I think I'll take my chances, but thanks for the heads-up
Old 01-08-2008, 11:20 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

I've got SLPs, but they're all basically the same, and I've beaten on my pretty good for the 6 or 8 months I've had them. And I got them used so they were already beat on before that and no problems here. I'm sure this is very rare. If the pulley was installed by a dealer, it should be under warranty as it is a Steeda product right?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

I also had mine for a couple months with no issues.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

"It is likely an isolated incident, but it's something to consider. "

"This is the first I have ever heard of a UDP failure leading to issues like this"
"It's not exactly common"
"I've been running mine for a couple months now with no problems"
"I'm sure this is very rare"
"I also had mine for a couple months with no issues. "

I've had mine on for over two Years without incident. It's very possible these were not properly installed. I've never heard of UDP's doing anything like this before.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

My buddy recently KO'd his brand new DSS Racing motor - all 12k of it. He was using a Steeda crank pulley, which spun on itself just enough to throw the engine out of balance, and it pretty much all went to hell really quick. Of course Steeda's response was basicly "oh well - sorry". For those with warranty concerns, it could happen to anybody with any pulley really. It's probably not worth the risk. It is likely an isolated incident, but it's something to consider.

Also for the record, DSS Racing are great guys and helped out with discounts on replacement parts and have helped in any way they can, which they are not obligated to do. I've personally seen a handful of their engines and their quality and service have been great. The failure had nothing to do with anything on their end.
Hi RF,

Was this a supercharged engine? How did the damper fail?Was the damperout of time? Did the damper body spin on the crank nose? Usuallyan engine needs to be run for very many, very hard miles before a crank damperfailure will give any clue there is a problem on a zero balance engine. Was this a zero balance engine?

Cheers!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I had the exact same problem.. The crank pully split (its a 2 piece) and serrated my belt leaving me stranded on the side of the road..I still get mad thinking about it.. My tuner had a spare pully and they squared me away but it sucked all the same...I destroyed the belt before any real damage was done so It's not out of balance but damn 12k behind a pully...I'd prolly sue

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

Quick Reply: UDP failure