Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wrecked my car! Drag radials FTL!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:06 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wrecked my car! Drag radials FTL!

Moose, sorry to hear about the accident man, tho I am glad to hear that its not too too bad, and that you and the wife are ok. I think if anything good can come of this,it's that this could be used as an excellent cautionary tale to people who think Drag Radials are ok to use as Regular driving tires. As their name implies, drag radials are for the drag strip, not the road.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:52 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Moose, sorry to hear about the accident man, tho I am glad to hear that its not too too bad, and that you and the wife are ok. I think if anything good can come of this,it's that this could be used as an excellent cautionary tale to people who think Drag Radials are ok to use as Regular driving tires. As their name implies, drag radials are for the drag strip, not the road.
That's why I posted it. They've worked fine in the rain before, but this was a huge puddle of water.

Damn I had my camera in the car! I was so upset that I didn't even thing about taking some pics.

It's still raining so the pics will have to wait. I got a better look at it and somehow the back glass was spared of any scratches. I'm not sure the front window was scratch either which just seems impossible to me.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:02 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the accident! Glad you and the wife are OK!

I had considered just swapping my rear tires for some drag radials as my car isn't a daily driver. The only thing that stopped me was the size hasn't been available yet. However, I think I'll go with a second set of wheels and tires all together after hearing your report!
Old 01-13-2008, 10:16 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear that and glad everyones okay. This might be harsh but its 100% your fault. Who drives with drag radials on the car in the rain. I never take my dr's off but if the ground is wet the daily driver goes. With someone as knowledgeable as you I would have thought you knew that.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:38 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Hang in there Moose and post them pics, you know we can't do without them....
Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: downriverT

Sorry to hear that and glad everyones okay. This might be harsh but its 100% your fault. Who drives with drag radials on the car in the rain. I never take my dr's off but if the ground is wet the daily driver goes. With someone as knowledgeable as you I would have thought you knew that.
Well it wasn't raining when I left and there was only a 30% chance at that, but it poured where we were. I waited until it had stopped raining, but wasn't aware that part of the highway had so much standing water. This was not my usual route, it was a back country highway. Anyway i'm aware that drag radials are not rain tire, but they are legal on the street.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

+1 to Moose... DRs are a street legal tire and most of us who run them on the car all the time are aware of the charateristics in the rain. I only drove mine once in the rain and was surprise at how well they handled.

Sometimes things happen.... that's why its called an accident!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 AM
explict
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear man, I seen the thread title I didnt expect it to be you!
Can you pull some insurance money off that?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:42 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

+1 to Moose... DRs are a street legal tire and most of us who run them on the car all the time are aware of the charateristics in the rain. I only drove mine once in the rain and was surprise at how well they handled.

Sometimes things happen.... that's why its called an accident!!!
It may not have mattered. It was a huge puddle and I didn't see it in time to slow down so....
Old 01-13-2008, 11:50 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: explict

Sorry to hear man, I seen the thread title I didnt expect it to be you!
Can you pull some insurance money off that?
I'm not looking to score any improvements. I'll be happy if they can paint it worth a damn.

Quick Reply: Wrecked my car! Drag radials FTL!