Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New to the forum, need a little bit of advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:04 PM
carrera097

Default New to the forum, need a little bit of advice.

First of all i would like to say hello to everyone.I just got a 2007 metallic grey mustang gt and im gonna buy a cold air intake and a chip for it. Which intakes do you guys suggest?? and whats the diffrence between the chips and the tuners, which ones are the best?? Ive never worked on mustangs or any american cars for that matter so all help is appreciated. thanks alot guys!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New to the forum, need a little bit of advice.

Welcome to the forum. The CAI's are best installed in conjunction with a tune. I don't believe we replace chips on the S197's since they're reprogrammable via the tuners. Use the search function and you'll find there are a few very good tune vendors out there. Also, read peopl's sigs and you'll see what they're running.

My condolences to your bank account. You'll understand that soon if you don't already... hehehe.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:20 PM
carrera097

thanks for the warm welcome, i'll be sure to look into that right now =)
Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

Welcome, like nuke said the search will provide TONS of info on this topic...hint go with a C&L and tune frome either brenspeed, bama, lidio, vmp....check em out
Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM
carrera097

Im guessingC&L is a cold air intake, and whats the gains on it? i saw livewire on americanmuscle.com what do you think about that?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:48 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

yes the c&l is a cai(cold air intake). there are many others, including the jlt, and the newer demolet, but i like the looks of the C&L better. They are all pretty much the same as hp gains go. id guess about 15-20 gains at the wheels with all the tuned cai kits. I have no experience with the livewire.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Go to brenspeed.com and other sites and you'll see the majority of the popular CAI and tuner combos. The install isVERY easy on most if not all of them.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

If you are interested in reading a "shootout" take a look at this: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html

Note that this was done in 2005-2006 time frame, there are other CAIs on the market now that are not included. On this forum the JLT and C&L intakes are the most popular but there are several other good ones and the power diff is minimal on an otherwise stock engine.

The Tune is the key and thats why we are recommending you contact brenspeed, bama, etc.

The Livewire is a Tuner (hardware). It a nice unit because it can give you a whole bunch of other data. It still needs the right tunes installed though and you should only get these thru one of the vendors noted. However, I'm not sure Brenspeed or the others work with the Livewire, you would have to contact them.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Id probably go with an intake and tune it on the dyno. I had the C@L intake and predator and it pinged at full throttle sometimes.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
gray07gt
1st Gear Member

my vote is for breenspeed. GREAT customer service. dave and seth will help with any questions you have just give them a call. love the grey stangs. welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: New to the forum, need a little bit of advice.