Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Port/Polishing stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default Port/Polishing stock heads

I was wondering what the benifits of porting and polishing the stock heads are compared to just buying aftermarket heads. Is there a significant price difference? Would it be worth the money to port and polish the stock heads or go ahead and buy an aftermarket setup? What kind of horse power gains would I see with each setup with cams (BBR stage 2's)? I looked up on BBR's website and they claim with a good tune that their heads and cams can get our cars at 375 rwhp.

???
Old 01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Port/Polishing stock heads

Im pretty sure that most companys who sell P&P heads are using stock castings and P&P those out. I personally think that if you have the money laying around for it go ahead and do it. If you stay n/a you will get some hp and if you go with a power adder you will still benefit hp. As far as hp wise with ported heads and cam im not sure. BBR claim they made 400rwhp with their n/a car but who knows. I am planning on doing it when I have the money for it.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Mustero

Porting heads refers to inlarging (usually to match the gaskets)the intake and exhaust "ports" in a cylinder head to improve flow.Polishing heads refers to cleaning up of or"polishing" the combustion chamber or valve pocket of the heads to again improve flow & adamisation of the air fuel mixture.
Most aftermarket heads,such as AFR or Edlebrock design these features in there heads and usually increase the valve sizes too,but at a greater cost.Horse power gains are dependant on many factors,Valve size & design,combustion chamber size & design,Port length,size & design,ect.
When chooseing the heads you want you have to concider what the primary use of the vehicle will be street/strip,full drag ect. The choise is yours.Hope this Helps
Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Ditto. Usually the companies offering complete p/p heads want your core back for some savings cause they do the p/p job on stock heads.

The reality is a p/p alone isn't really that big of a deal on the S197 IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing to do but more important IMO is upgrading the valve train. More important than the P/P job to me, is the upgraded 1mm oversize inconel exhaust & intake valves, titanium springs & retainers, and brass guides. If you start making some decent power, these are the places of the valve train you want to reinforce IMO.

Just to give you an idea of how important, the majority of big horse power motors that let go are usually related first to a failure in the valve train...
Old 01-18-2008, 02:06 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

Ditto. Usually the companies offering complete p/p heads want your core back for some savings cause they do the p/p job on stock heads.

The reality is a p/p alone isn't really that big of a deal on the S197 IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing to do but more important IMO is upgrading the valve train. More important than the P/P job to me, is the upgraded 1mm oversize inconel exhaust & intake valves, titanium springs & retainers, and brass guides. If you start making some decent power, these are the places of the valve train you want to reinforce IMO.

Just to give you an idea of how important, the majority of big horse power motors that let go are usually related first to a failure in the valve train...
This is a good post!

From my understanding seems the 3V heads (flowgood also due to theredesign) have already big ports to begin with and really don't need much work. You always hear about P&P to open up the heads for flow truth is the 3V heads need very little material removed and in some areas material added.

Yep bigger valves, 3 angle V job, hardware mentioned by Markand some work in bowls plusand you pick around 40rwhp 20rwtq with the 3V heads.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

what about getting a pair of used 3V heads on a yunkyard and send those to P&P so u dont have your car down for a while.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Correct. This is the exact reason I'm putting together the 342ci motor on the 3V platform. Several guys have done the big bore 4.6 motors but all of them have done it on the 4V. I really think the 3V platform is going to unleash a beast with these new cubes and I can't wait to fire it up in a couple weeks...

I've been involved in a half dozen P/P jobs on these heads and I can tell you that it is never 'shocking' or 'surprising' how much material ends up coming out. It's nowhere near the obvious visual of a pushrod. It's always more of a 'cleaning up' job IMO and not that big of a deal if you saw them side by side a stocker.

Nope, beefing up the valve train is where your money is best spent and the P/P job is just kind of a bonus.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:49 PM
iwannagofast
2nd Gear Member

The machine shop I talked to said the intake doesnt need much more than some cleanup. The exhaust side on the other hand needs alot of work Im sure partially because of the 2 valves feeding one. Everyone Ive talked to estimate between $1400 to $1600.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

Correct. This is the exact reason I'm putting together the 342ci motor on the 3V platform. Several guys have done the big bore 4.6 motors but all of them have done it on the 4V. I really think the 3V platform is going to unleash a beast with these new cubes and I can't wait to fire it up in a couple weeks...

I've been involved in a half dozen P/P jobs on these heads and I can tell you that it is never 'shocking' or 'surprising' how much material ends up coming out. It's nowhere near the obvious visual of a pushrod. It's always more of a 'cleaning up' job IMO and not that big of a deal if you saw them side by side a stocker.

Nope, beefing up the valve train is where your money is best spent and the P/P job is just kind of a bonus.
Yes. The 3V heads flow great (better than the old twisted wedge) and need no modification. Valve train is the weak point. The weak valve springs cause float above 6k rpm. New springs/retainers are (highly suggested)when going to higher lift cams. Modaddict, can't wait to see your results!!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:51 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iwannagofast

The machine shop I talked to said the intake doesnt need much more than some cleanup. The exhaust side on the other hand needs alot of work Im sure partially because of the 2 valves feeding one. Everyone Ive talked to estimate between $1400 to $1600.
well for that price look at a shop like livernois or fox lake. There is another place that advertises great air flow.

Quick Reply: Port/Polishing stock heads