Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pinging?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Pinging?

More or less what I described, yes. Is it the same sound? No clue.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: explict

I know what you are talking about, my car does it also. Under acceleration in a certain RPM range it will make the sound and go away. It isusually in a high gear at a low RPM such as 4th or 5th at 2000RPM-3000RPM then you cant hear it anymore. It does sound like a ping but I am not sure.
Not the sound, but is my description the same as what is happening to you?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Yep.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

I know this would be a PIA - but can you record it? Hearing it would help tons in diagnosing...
In my case it is too discrete to record, especially over my exhaust not only that but my car is parked for the winter. But if you really listen when you are in thecaryou can hear it. I noticed it after Installing my JLT Intake, but I think it was there before I just noticed it because I was listening for that specific sound.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, what to do... This is very disappointing.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I feel for ya bro and would suggest another dealer for a second opinion. I can't rule out detonation but I can tell you I'm convinced based on the specific rpm range that it is NOT detonation.

Again, I can't say for sure so take it to a pro that can listen to it but based on what you've described, I still put my money on some kind of harmonic rattle of something.

For starters have your tuner send you a ridiculously low advanced timing tune (like 8º max or something) and make sure you have a fresh tank of good gas (empty your tank completely of what's in there) and if it still persists, you know it's not detonation.

Get a second opinion and find what's rattling...

PS - you have ruled out a bad lifter, right?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:38 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

I tried to figure it out but I gave up. I agree with Modaddict on the Harmonic rattle. I cant place it with anything else.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:39 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

I got to tell ya, I don't know for sure without hearing it but it is really hard for me to believe it would be 'pinging' if it is only at a specific RPM range. Normally pinging (detonation) will occur and worsen with increased rpm.
+1 Pinging is a very obvious noise, if you have ever heard it, it happens under load and increases with RPM. I find it hard to believe you could confuse a metal rattling noise from under the car with pinging.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I haven't ruled out anything... I'd like to hope it has nothing to do with the engine, I don't want to have to have it tore down and replaced on just an intake & tune... that would be VERY disappointing.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

+1 Pinging is a very obvious noise, if you have ever heard it, it happens under load and increases with RPM. I find it hard to believe you could confuse a metal rattling noise from under the car with pinging.
[/quote]

I've never heard 'pinging' before... To me the sound is like a thin-metallic rattle underneath the car. That's the only way I can explain it. The dealership claims that it's pinging.

Quick Reply: Pinging?