Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BLOWER TALK - Episode III

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: BLOWER TALK - Episode III

More great info.

I would love to relocate the IAT sensor after my s/c but I havent seen a good set up yet I liked. Using the Whipple tune I am not that worried. Plus once I have it dyno tuned at VMP I am going to tell him to keep the tune real conservative for me. I also plan on tuning the car for 91 octane and running 93 whenever I can to help even more. I am willing to lose some potential hp for a rock solid ride. Down the road when it isnt a DD I will loosen the reigns a little.

So CK, if I may recap as good mods to do for someone with a whipple HO you would recommend.

Larger resevior (what would you say is a good one?)
Electric water pump
Billet tensioner

Anything else to improve reliability and reduce mishaps?

Also 2 more questions.

When you run ice in the resevior, what are the steps involved? I would assume you just wouldnt want to throw loose ice in there as when it melts it could get small and potentially clog the outlet port?

And second would there be any benefit to running the ST throttle body upgrade on a whipple running at 8psi?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 AM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

More great info.

I would love to relocate the IAT sensor after my s/c but I havent seen a good set up yet I liked. Using the Whipple tune I am not that worried. Plus once I have it dyno tuned at VMP I am going to tell him to keep the tune real conservative for me. I also plan on tuning the car for 91 octane and running 93 whenever I can to help even more. I am willing to lose some potential hp for a rock solid ride. Down the road when it isnt a DD I will loosen the reigns a little.

So CK, if I may recap as good mods to do for someone with a whipple HO you would recommend.

Larger resevior (what would you say is a good one?)
Electric water pump
Billet tensioner

Anything else to improve reliability and reduce mishaps?

Also 2 more questions.

When you run ice in the resevior, what are the steps involved? I would assume you just wouldnt want to throw loose ice in there as when it melts it could get small and potentially clog the outlet port?

And second would there be any benefit to running the ST throttle body upgrade on a whipple running at 8psi?
For Whipple the place to get the resevoir is ST Motorsports. www.spankintime.com

I don't really think you need the monster tensioner if your going to stay at 8 psi. The ice doesn't matter. The custom resevoirs are pretty trick and one of the things adam makes sure you do with his is get the upgraded pump anyway. All of of us just drain the resevoir down to about an inch or so of water and thn just dump ice in there until it's full, pyt the cap back on, and bingo bango. I've never had an issue with blockage and I've done this over 300 times...lol

If you want to be really trick, you have Adam include a 'quick connect' for easy draining. Mine is pretty sweet and simple.

No - the TB and intake upgrades are not going to do much for you at 8 psi (or even 10 psi for that matter)
Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Thanks,

Dont plan on breaking into the motor anytime soon so I guess no TB for me .

I plan on running 8psi for a while since I have stock pirellis (235's [&:]) and a stock clutch. Once the clutch goes I am upgrading to a Spec 2 or McCloud, Aluminum driveshaft, and electric water pump (Thanks another $300 to spend ), and resevoir. Are you saying I need another intercooler pump to go with the bigger resevior?

Imbetween the steps I am going to do the PCV catch can set up the the tensioner. I know I dont need it but it looks cool and I would be happy to know that it wont ever break.

Thanks for the input, full of great knowledge. If I every win the lottery, I will be gunning for you , but since that probably wont happen I will just be in awe of you.

Keep it up.

Cant wait for Blower Talk IV
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Yea im poor too. My car looks completely stock.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:04 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

How do you guys run blowers with stock tires?? I couldn't do any more than like 1/2 throttle in 1st, 2nd, OR 3rd without the *** swinging around in front of me!! Hence the reason I just ordered 20x9s and 20x10s with Nitto NT555's.. The stock 235/50/18 BFGs just weren't working out so good.. What gives???
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Thanks for the tech thread as usual Mark! And if you get enough of these threads about the motor and FI and such I might just have to pin these to the top and make them a sticky! Thanks again Mark! J

ORIGINAL: TJ

ORIGINAL: modaddict

Yes (fuel trims) and EXCELLENT points TJ.

I wish more guys would use the data log features of their tuner regardless if they have a lap top or not to see exactly where everything as at and when.

Thanks Mark!

These threads(Talk Threads) your postinghave some really goodinfo,MustangForumsshould put these threads together some how as a sticky "Marks S197FICorner or something" in the 4.6L V8specifieimo and let youhave the ability to edit info.You know ormaybe you should really think aboutputting a website with all the info on the S197since you have so much hands onexperience with this car motor/FII know I'd be a regular visitor.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Modaddict, nice thread. Any thoughts about RPM's and rod loading. I imagine higher pressure and higher rpm equal boom on stock internals. I see KB has my tune set to 6K
Old 01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

How do you guys run blowers with stock tires?? I couldn't do any more than like 1/2 throttle in 1st, 2nd, OR 3rd without the *** swinging around in front of me!! Hence the reason I just ordered 20x9s and 20x10s with Nitto NT555's.. The stock 235/50/18 BFGs just weren't working out so good.. What gives???
Sorry but if you are trying to hook - buying 20's wasn't a very good idea...

What do you expect on the stock rubber. I only use the NT555's in the front. On the street I use the 555R 305/45-18 in the back. The only reason I use them is because M&H doesn't make an 18" Racemaster yet for my wheels.

Even with mild boost, don't expect to hook too many tires on the street with a TS or TC. At the track, any DR's besides the ET Streets or the M&H Racemasters are a waste of money IMO.

Your *** swinging out also has a lot to do with you probably having the stock differential and not being stiff enough in the rear...
Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ziperhead

Thanks Modaddict, nice thread. Any thoughts about RPM's and rod loading . I imagine higher pressure and higher rpm equal boom on stock internals. I see KB has my tune set to 6K
Your question is EXACTLY THE POINT OF THIS THREAD. The blower tune is set to 6K for a reason. The most important part of the thread for your question was the 'TIME' portion.

If you want your internals to last, then the last thing you want to do is be spinning the car high on a daily basis. Using a dyno and a skilled tuner, your best bet is to set-up a race tune that capitolizes on making power throughout a higher rpm range. Then you have your 'race tune' at the track where you are spinning the car to 6500-6800 only 1320' at a time. When your done, you load your street tune back in a drive the car everyday shifting at 6K...
Old 01-29-2008, 03:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

didn't you say there was snow on the
roads? maybe that had something to do
with it....just a thought [8D]

ORIGINAL: exx1976

How do you guys run blowers with stock tires?? I couldn't do any more than like 1/2 throttle in 1st, 2nd, OR 3rd without the *** swinging around in front of me!! What gives???

Quick Reply: BLOWER TALK - Episode III