Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

kenne bell 2.6 or saleen?? both at 12 psi

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: kenne bell 2.6 or saleen?? both at 12 psi

10 psi with a conservative tune (see numbers in sig). I've seen 10psi (3.4" pulley) Saleens in the 470 rwhp range.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
bluecervinilover

2007GT/CS, so did you just not tune it like for racing and just keep it at the street tune? or how are other people 10 psi's running 470 and yours not?? just wondering. thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 10:52 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

I'm running a 'canned' (vs. a custom dyno) tune. These tend to be on the conservative side in terms of timing and a richer air/fuel to insure that the tune is safe across a wide variety of cars and weather conditions.

I don't doubt for a minute that if I took my car to any decent tuner and said, "build me the max power possible on pump gas at this psi" I could get to 470. So boost is only one variable here. How agressive are you willing to be? How much of a safety margin do you want left in?

Worth it? Not to me. I drive this car every day from 100 degree days to -10 degree days on 93 octane fuel and I'd rather have the safety of the tune I have now. Hell, I can't *plant* the power I've got today much less 40 more HP [8D].

So, IMO, nothing wrong with dyno number bragging rights but you are best off with a power level and tune that fit your circumstances. I am fortunate enough to have the means to build a new engine but I'd like that to be on my timetable rather than a rush job (waiting to get all the 411 from ModAddict's build this year )

These pages are littered with the windowed blocks of those who dared too much.....
Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

im switching pullies to a 3.4 on my saleen s/c on tuesday and getting it dyno tuned, ill get a printout of it and post it here.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:31 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Also black with polished Whipple and chrome valve covers isnt bad IMO either

ORIGINAL: hammeron

yellow and polished chrome isn't bad either
Old 01-30-2008, 05:08 AM
silverpoison
2nd Gear Member

If you 1000% sure that you will be happy with 450rwhp do the saleen, the only problem I see is that WE all know power is addictive and you are going to do anything for more. I think the KB and the Saleen are probably the best bets out there if you are going to build your engine later down the road.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:42 PM
bluecervinilover

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS

I'm running a 'canned' (vs. a custom dyno) tune. These tend to be on the conservative side in terms of timing and a richer air/fuel to insure that the tune is safe across a wide variety of cars and weather conditions.

I don't doubt for a minute that if I took my car to any decent tuner and said, "build me the max power possible on pump gas at this psi" I could get to 470. So boost is only one variable here. How agressive are you willing to be? How much of a safety margin do you want left in?

Worth it? Not to me. I drive this car every day from 100 degree days to -10 degree days on 93 octane fuel and I'd rather have the safety of the tune I have now. Hell, I can't *plant* the power I've got today much less 40 more HP [8D].

So, IMO, nothing wrong with dyno number bragging rights but you are best off with a power level and tune that fit your circumstances. I am fortunate enough to have the means to build a new engine but I'd like that to be on my timetable rather than a rush job (waiting to get all the 411 from ModAddict's build this year )

These pages are littered with the windowed blocks of those who dared too much.....
I dont think id go past 12 psi because after that comes engine problems and required upgrades that i dont want to deal with haha. but prolly a 10 psi with an aggressive tune would be in me "safety" range and then 12 psi with an aggressive tune if I wanna live on the edge . what do you think I could get as in rwhp with a 12 psi and an aggressive tune?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:25 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluecervinilover

I dont think id go past 12 psi because after that comes engine problems and required upgrades that i dont want to deal with haha. but prolly a 10 psi with an aggressive tune would be in me "safety" range and then 12 psi with an aggressive tune if I wanna live on the edge . what do you think I could get as in rwhp with a 12 psi and an aggressive tune?
A 3.2" pulley will give you roughly 11.5 lbs of boost. At that level you might be getting into 500 rwhp range.

Tick, tick, tick.....
Old 01-30-2008, 06:42 PM
bluecervinilover

ORIGINAL: bluecervinilover

A 3.2" pulley will give you roughly 11.5 lbs of boost. At that level you might be getting into 500 rwhp range.

Tick, tick, tick.....
haha ya id think at that range I would have to be working on the engine alot. Whats a good "safe zone" for rwhp that wont cause engine problems/ me having to work on it all the time?? and im guessing a 3.4" pulley would be in the 10psi range?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Every question you are asking has already been answered SEVERAL hundred times over, and more than likely at least once in this thread.

ANYTHING OVER 450 RWHP, ENGINE GO TICK TICK TICK. AFTER TICK TICK TICK, ENGINE GO BOOM.

Is that easy enough for you?

Quick Reply: kenne bell 2.6 or saleen?? both at 12 psi