Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

motor build up

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default motor build up

http://www.nthcoast.com/store/index.php?cPath=91

would any of these stroker kits fit in the 08 GT? also what else would be needed for a build up?
installation must cost a pretty penny as well I am betting.[:'(]
Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: motor build up

Personally, I don't like none of the pistons with any of those kits.

The only pistons I like for the S197 (in order of best IMO) is...

1. Diamond
2. JE
3. Manley

The diamond are pretty pricey and probably overkill for most of your builds but the JE are extremely nice. (I like their coating and dish style) but the Manley are tried and proven also with good results. For stroker motors, I wouldn't use anything but the three I listed. (my opinion anyway)

Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I know zilch about motor build ups,would I be able to use these internals on a stock block GT or
would I have to start from sratch,say with a crate motor? i want to go fi in the future
Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
jdroth50
1st Gear Member

My question is similar to the one above me. I have neither the technical skill nor desire to install any of this myself. My question is, since I'm going to pay a pretty hefty installation fee, would I be better off just building a new motor from the ground up, or just getting the forged stroker kit installed on my stock block? If the installation price isn't much different to throw a whole new block, internals, and heads/cams in, seems like I'd get better bang for my installation $$$ than just getting the internals alone.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

fo sho.^^
Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Non of those kits will work....they are all push rod motor parts. You can use your existing block. If you would like some more info and recommendations on which way to go, please feel free to pm or call me. I am more than happy to answer your questions.

Casey[/align]
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 AM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I just saw the pistons and closed the page...lol[8D]

You most certainly can use your stock block, but just remember that when you do a stroker kit - the block still needs to go out and everythig needs to be machined and balanced. Considering the price of blocks, I always recommend for people to build up a new block because sometimes there are delays/issues with the machine shop, builder, etc, etc.

If you are building up a seperate short block, then when the motor is complete and you are ready to make the swap, your car should be down for no more than 2 days to make the switch. If you build on your stock block, you run the risk of having your car down for much longer.

The other big pro to building up a seperate short block is if for some reason, your built motor runs into any problems, you still have the stock short block lying around that you can throw in there and still have a car...

I know several people who went without a car for months and months wishing they had built seperate and still had the stock shortblock laying around...

I'll start a thread later today where we can start lisitng what blocks you can use and the differences between them and price...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

dang it,i can't find the thread but it was about something similar and it had a link to
a site that sold built motors from $3-6K...anyone remember of have a link to such a site?
it had a but 4.8 and 5.0 on them for the GT.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:37 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

you can get a stroker kit and use the stock block...the block is VERY strong...good to about 900HP...

and i HIGHLY doubt your going anywhere near that...

its the bottom end thats gonna be your worry, and a stroker kit will fix just that...the weakest part in our engine are the rods, same size as a toothbrush...