Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger/Methanol Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Default Supercharger/Methanol Injection?

I went to the world of wheels in chicago and there was a guy there with a 05gt well long story short we talked for a half hour. Now he has a votec sc with a methanol injection kit to cool the air instead of buying a intercooler. Is this a good idea or bad idea? He has the cheapest model vortec they make he said with a smaller pully and he said he is running 14lbs if boost with the vortec, methanol injection & smaller pullie. He said he is making 500hp. Is this a good setup or no? Any comments or suggestionon this would be great because the methanol injection kit is cheaper then a intercooler. P.s He is also running all this on a stock block with no forge for 2 years now.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger/Methanol Injection?

The concept of Water/methanol injection was originally pioneered on the engines used in supercharged fighterplanes in WWII. It works fine when used right. I've seen cars pushing as much as 20 psi of boost with nothing but the Meth to cool it.It's an ok setup, but kinda on the risky side for the inexperienced user/installer. All it takes is a few miles of forgetting to refil your Meth reservoir, and your engine it toast. Have the selenoids positioned wrong, you can hydro-lock your engine...

The question I would have asked the guy is not how long has he been running this setup, but how many miles? If your using it o a car that comes out once a month, then I think it's fine. If it's for a daily driver, i think your flirting with disaster.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

The concept of Water/methanol injection was originally pioneered on the engines used in supercharged fighterplanes in WWII. It works fine when used right. I've seen cars pushing as much as 20 psi of boost with nothing but the Meth to cool it.It's an ok setup, but kinda on the risky side for the inexperienced user/installer. All it takes is a few miles of forgetting to refil your Meth reservoir, and your engine it toast. Have the selenoids positioned wrong, you can hydro-lock your engine...

The question I would have asked the guy is not how long has he been running this setup, but how many miles? If your using it o a car that comes out once a month, then I think it's fine. If it's for a daily driver, i think your flirting with disaster.
He has been using the setup for 2 years. He also said it auto sprays at 3300rpm and again at 5500 rpm i think he said. Its a Daily Driver. He has a 1 gallon tank and he says he has to fill the methanol every 6 full tanks of gas so it last quite awhile.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

i run w/m daily on my rsx. pushing 20psi on 16G turbo. You can set the injection moment. ie. inject only at 5psi and up. it wont turn on at 1-4.9psi. You dont see full boost daily unless u're flooring it all the time. I almost never refill mine bc i hardly hit that high of boost. (i have it activated at 11.2psi)
Old 02-01-2008, 09:58 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

oh, forgot to mention, injecting water/meth or meth alone is not a good idea on superchargers they have for the s197. ie. twin screw/roots. They will wear the coating on the fins and deteriorate. With a centri blower like vortech, the injection nozzle could be mounted after the blower.

i use w/m mainly for knock control, cooling combustion, and steam cleaning pistons, not as power adder. Addition of power is a bonus.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

any1 else?
Old 02-01-2008, 06:52 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

Been thinking about a set up for my TwinScrew, but decided against it because its not a commuter car, not a winter car and def. not a track car. Just something that I've always wanted...a mustang with some serious sac!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:34 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

True and check out this link OP.....
it will help on the benefits and whether or not you want to do that!
This is the tuner installer I use and recommend him to anyone...very nice, very smart, and very patient.... http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html

Hope it helps! J
ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

oh, forgot to mention, injecting water/meth or meth alone is not a good idea on superchargers they have for the s197. ie. twin screw/roots. They will wear the coating on the fins and deteriorate. With a centri blower like vortech, the injection nozzle could be mounted after the blower.

i use w/m mainly for knock control, cooling combustion, and steam cleaning pistons, not as power adder. Addition of power is a bonus.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

I plan on going meth also for a number of reasons as (most)stated in mygt500 articleand like the setup if done correctly and tuned correctly.

I will also be going (Whipple G-2) meth as I have posted before here I will have Lido install his meth system and have him dyno tune my setup. The only difference I will be running an IC and meth I will not run just meth only for my own reasons. The plan is of now is to run 12psi but keep peak numbers down (450-460rwhp street tune / 485rwhp track only race tune) by tuning out the power at the top of the curve but have a larger (more power 12 psi & meth) under the curve/ power band. When I mention track I am talking maybe 3-4 times a year not a lot of track time.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:08 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

TJ when you are going to get it done PM me and I will meet you there! I am interested as well in that system on my H.O whipple and Lidio is the man when it comes to tuning...IMHO....J

Quick Reply: Supercharger/Methanol Injection?