Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I want to do cams!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Default I want to do cams!

Im thinking of doing cams in my car. Which brand should i go with and why? Also i heard you can get a 30-40hp increase from doing cams is there any truth behinde that? Also can i do cams now and heads later or should they be done at the sametime? Thanks guys i dont know much about cams.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I want to do cams!

Depending on which cam application you decide on you may have to get different injectors,fuel pump and a new mass air sensor.Plus use will need a tuner for calibration.Check the Comp Cams website.It gets expensive pretty quick and the labor might include pulling the engine.It the torque you get from a cam upgrade that make a big difference,especially at high altitude.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:44 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

I am not sure of the actual gains but I have heard a cam upgrade can be as little as 10 HP in our cars. People are steering clear of doing cams becuase when all is said and done you are paying like $2500 or more for very little HP....even if you really do get 40.

I say save up and get a supercharger.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

the other mod that should be done with cams are heads and they're very pricey, for the money of cams and heads + spings + retainers + instalation you will be in the 5K range spent, for that coin i'd buy a SC.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

alot of people have lost power...

and it doesnt depend on the brand, it depends on the grind...you need to get a cam set-up thats right for you...do you plan on boosting? staying N/A?...is this a strip/race set-up...daily driver only?

40 is not going to happen if you only do heads...youd be lucky for 10...search the forums and read what results people have had...not good...

the only good ones are where people have done all the complimentary mods and have really researched which grinds thye need for their application.

good luck!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:49 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Take a peek at Brenspeeds website, he sells cams for our cars. (like the other said, its ALOT of cash for just 30hp. Go FI.)

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shooter23

alot of people have lost power...

and it doesnt depend on the brand, it depends on the grind...you need to get a cam set-up thats right for you...do you plan on boosting? staying N/A?...is this a strip/race set-up...daily driver only?

40 is not going to happen if you only do heads...youd be lucky for 10...search the forums and read what results people have had...not good...

the only good ones are where people have done all the complimentary mods and have really researched which grinds thye need for their application.

good luck!
I will be mostly using it on the street seeing as i do more street racing then actually going to he strip say what you want iknow street racing is bad but i do it every weekend anyways. I will be going the SC route in prob. 2 years n i dont plan on doing head rite away. I am going 30whp off of this kit at brenspeed. Do you think its good?
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200.../127300kit.gifits $949
Old 02-03-2008, 02:06 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

need to keep in mind the labor ... its pricey i've heard for cams !
Old 02-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

I dont need to worry about the price for labor because my uncle is going to do it for free in his own shop so no worry about the labor cost. How does the kit from brenspeed look? Is it good?
Old 02-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang3GT07

ORIGINAL: MexGT

I dont need to worry about the price for labor because my uncle is going to do it for free in his own shop so no worry about the labor cost. How does the kit from brenspeed look? Is it good?
Unless your uncle knows how to do VCT I wouldn't let him touch the car. Cam timing is critical with our cars. Really think about what you want to do with your car. Even most of the guys running 600 hp S197s are using the stock cams. They replace the springs and put bigger valves in to get more air into the motor, but they keep the stock sticks. The stock sticks and heads are pretty good as/is and gains are small and exspensivecompared to other sources of power. The stock cam gives tuners the ability to tune easier also. JDM prefers the stock sticks as he said in other interviews regarding the S197.

You would be better off stroking your motor and having your uncle do that. It's about the same labor and you get more net gains. Cost would be simliar and the long terms benefits are tremendous with forged internals.

Cams sound awesome in our cars. But most of us don't do it because we want our cars to go fast as well as sound like they are fast.

Don't forget in order to maximize your car you will need to have it custom dyno tuned by someone who knows how to alter cam timing via computer.

Quick Reply: I want to do cams!