Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pi Multi Disk Conv.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

Default Pi Multi Disk Conv.

Who has the best price ? I have disided to use this with the new TCI trans as I fell it is the best conv. choice for 800rwhp even if the trans is only rated for 650rwhp I fell this will would be the best 5r55s combo for this hp range.[/align]
Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Pi Multi Disk Conv.

uhmmmm since moddadict has posted some of his experienced facts, theres no input shaft that would handle that much HP.

I have a multidisc P.I. @3,500 stall in mine, works great, but i'm in the 300ish rwhp range lol ....
Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

I know problems with the shaft size but the TCI shaft from what they told me is a forged shaft and they do only rate the unit to 650rwhp but keep in mind the shafts that people are snaping are for the most part at the track and this is a (Z06 killer mainly)street car that will see the track only a couple of times per year that being said , no wheel stands and it should be fine.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:45 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ebr

I know problems with the shaft size but the TCI shaft from what they told me is a forged shaft and they do only rate the unit to 650rwhp but keep in mind the shafts that people are snaping are for the most part at the track and this is a (Z06 killer mainly)street car that will see the track only a couple of times per year that being said , no wheel stands and it should be fine.
???

Maybe I am misunderstanding you but converters don't come with input shafts, you just pull off the old converter andthe new converter just slides on the trans shaft so its still the same shaft that Mex is talking about. Unless are you saying the converter comes with a new trans shaft that you have to install in the trans I never heard of that?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

He has a TCI tansmission and a PI converter.He is refrring to the input shaft in the TCI tranny. Stiil the problem is that the input shaft used by TCI is still only 5/8". That is the problem with the 5R55S transmission. The stock shaft if forged, it is just 5/8" diameter which is why some have snapped it.
You can not fit alarger diameterinput shaft in the transmission, to increase strength.
You will just have to wait and see if the 5/8 can hold 800 RWHP. I am pushing 523 RWHP through my Level10 Stage III and it is holding up fine. The Stage III transmission has a bigger pump, firmer bands and clutches, new converter and shift solenoids and servos, modified valve body but still has the 5/8" input shaft. Those are the choices: Level 10 or TCI
So when I forge and raise the horsepower level I will find out if the Level 10 will take 650+ without snapping the shaft.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Good points killer and remember the input shaft breakage is related to TORQUE not hp. I personally think it is 'possible' to hold 800 rwhp depending on the set-up but where it's going to be dangerous is stomping on it in your torque ranges.

If it never sees the track then who knows? If you hook that thing from a dig, then forget about it - input shaft is gone...

Personally, even for a street car, I would never try to make any amount of power I couldn't hook - but that's just me. I feel power you can't hook is about as useless as a midget in the NBA...[8D]
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

He has a TCI tansmission and a PI converter.He is refrring to the input shaft in the TCI tranny. Stiil the problem is that the input shaft used by TCI is still only 5/8". That is the problem with the 5R55S transmission. The stock shaft if forged, it is just 5/8" diameter which is why some have snapped it.
You can not fit alarger diameterinput shaft in the transmission, to increase strength.
You will just have to wait and see if the 5/8 can hold 800 RWHP. I am pushing 523 RWHP through my Level10 Stage III and it is holding up fine. The Stage III transmission has a bigger pump, firmer bands and clutches, new converter and shift solenoids and servos, modified valve body but still has the 5/8" input shaft. Those are the choices: Level 10 or TCI
So when I forge and raise the horsepower level I will find out if the Level 10 will take 650+ without snapping the shaft.
Ok I thought he was putting a stall on the stock trans per my post. lol

Z thanks for the crash course on theL 10that smallparagraph was packed with info!

Your putting out 523rwhp!

Is thisat 11 psi or higher I would assume higher?

I assume on a race tune/gas with a lot of timing?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Talk to me about the price for the TCI tranny!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:15 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

Do you agree that if you were going to push the TCI 5r55s to the limit that the PI multi disk conv. with the higher hp rateing would be the better choice for this setup?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:18 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

I called TCI today, they told me their version of the 5R55s would be out in 1 1/2 - 2 months and 650 hp is at the crank not at the wheels.

Quick Reply: Pi Multi Disk Conv.