Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spark Plugs! Aggggh!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Spark Plugs! Aggggh!

By the time I was done, I can assure you there was quite a bit of penetrating spray in there. Definitely higher than the hex area. However, I am aware of the risk of hydrolocking the motor, so I cranked it over with the plugs out and the coils and injectors unplugged to make sure that I got the majority of crap out of there. I checked the electrode and wirebrushed it thoroughly and still no go. We'll see what happens when I put a new plug in there this afternoon.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:28 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Out of curiosity, which plugs did you go back with?

Now that I've read all of this I think it's time to change the plugs with 37,000+ miles on her.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

What are you setting the plug gap at?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I did not change the plug gap on the new plugs. I went with Motorcraft OEM replacements. None of the new plugs have given me problems (as of yet). I would assume that Ford plugs come at the correct gap, especially since (even though I know this is not true)the container says that the gap is not adjustable.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Others may disagree but in my opinion, you don't need to be concerned about gapping at all N/A.

FI is another story and they most definitely need to be gapped IMO. The amount of the gap is dependent on your boost level.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

Others may disagree but in my opinion, you don't need to be concerned about gapping at all N/A.

FI is another story and they most definitely need to be gapped IMO. The amount of the gap is dependent on your boost level.
Yep, I've been told that with the Saleen 4" pulley to use a .035" gap and for the 3.4" touse a .030" gap. Piedmont's gapping tool and a shaved feeler gauge works pretty good.

I'ts been almost a year since I last pulled mine - think I'll do it this weekend. I didn't use antisieze on the electrode cover last time though, only on the threads.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:45 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I didn't use antisieze on the electrode cover last time though, only on the threads.
[/quote]

Ouch! Good Luck.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 PM
poopsidoo
1st Gear Member

I took mine into dealer 1500 miles before warranty ran out to get dealer to change. The service advisor asked why I wanted them changed? I explained, and he said he would, but he thought it was a waste of money to change that early, and he said they change them all of the time and dont have any problem. I asked him if I waited and some got stuck in head, would
ford stand behind any repair, and he said yes, as long as I had not changed the plugs before (used incorrect plugs, etc).
I have decided to take in and get a modified 60,000 mile checkup this week and will go ahead and get them changed.
I am buying an extended warranty for another 48,000 miles for $2700. before you howl, my boss is paying all but $400 of it, so I figure its a good deal. ($0 deductible)
Old 02-13-2008, 04:15 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

It's been almost a year since I last pulled mine - think I'll do it this weekend. I didn't use antisieze on the electrode cover last time though, only on the threads.
Without exaggeration, I've changed mine at least 20 times and I have never used anything. I have changed them so often that I didn't think it mattered, but perhaps I should reconsider...

Before you ask - I run C16 - that's why...

My new build is being tuned for 104 specifically because I am sick and tired of shelling out the money on plugs. I'll have more than enough power this build where I don't have to squeeze every drop of timing I can get so I am looking forward to having one set of plugs last for a minute...

Want to know something really cool??? LOL

I'm looking into being able to run old style plugs in these heads. I'll make a post when I get all the info...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:19 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

Okay I am missing something. What is wrong with our spark plugs? I have 30,000 miles on mine do I need to change them? how do you change them or should i just pay some one to change them?

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs! Aggggh!