Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Noob trying to avoid exh drone

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:14 AM
GTX141
1st Gear Member

Default Noob trying to avoid exh drone

Hi all,

I'll be picking up my GO GT in the next week, and I want to replace the stock axel-backs. I've probably listened to hundreds of vids on Youtube of different set-ups. They all sound great, but you can't tell if there's any drone in the cockpit.

I'm not interested in X or H pipes, just axel-backs. From what I've read/heard, the Pypes system seems to be pretty good. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Noob trying to avoid exh drone

Violators? Gta's are good for a decent upgrade in sound without the drone. Corsa also, but expensive. Stay away from the stingers or mac.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

if youre talking about the mid-muffler system from pypes, i heard that does have drone to it. i think there are 3 completely without drone, slp loudmouths, boomtubes and corsa. corsas mypick
Old 02-13-2008, 09:12 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

If you want no drone guaranteed, then go Corsa. I did a write up on mine after I installed them. You should be able to easily find it in search.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Pony Up
1st Gear Member

Corsa is a super quality BUT they aren't very loud at all. They sound nice at WOT that's pretty much it. I had a set and sold them for many $$$ down down the crapper.
I kept looking for more sound all the time. They aren't a very deep sounding system in otherwise stock orm. Keep looking. You will not have drone with them but you won't have much more either other than quality looking tips. IMHO from experience here.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:11 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

was something blocking them up? imo, theyre quite a bit louder than stock, nowheres near slp lms, but still noticeable. and with a cai and tune, its much louder. its the perfect volume and tone for me, i wouldnt want to change a thing. very muscle car-ish
Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yeah, they are no loudmouth, but they are significantly louder than stock and sound WAY better than stock (sound better than loudmouth too, those are just horrible). Corsas are top notch quality and sounds extremely mean and agressive and do not blow your head in while crusing with the windows up.

Just remember, louder is not always better. I have heard a lot of very loud setups while driving around and most sounded like complete ****.

Pretty much only the boomtubes sound good while being A LOT louder than stock and supposedly have no drone. For me as a DD with 50 mile one way at 1 to 1.5 hour drive time, something any louder than corsas would have been too much.

Corsa's are 1,000,000 times more than just nice tips.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Corsa &amp; GTA's are both drone-free.
The Pypes mid-muffler system has a very slight drone, around 1950-2050, but hardly noticable.
Tried a few different setups. Have not heard the newer 'Boomtubes' in person yet though, so may want to check into those as well.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I couldn;t agree more on the Corsas. I've heard alot of exhausts in person and while most sound good form outside (except LM's IMO), they sound bad inside or drone like crazy. I think Corsa is definitely the 'classiest' sounding A/B for our cars. Part muscle, part Ferrari IMO.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

IMHO - less drone = more whimpy sound !!! lol Just turn up the shaker !!!

Seriously though avoid the MACs, drone is heavy, but you gotta love the sound especially with catted x-pipe!! lol

exhaust clip: http://www.houndbite.com/?houndbite=848

have fun

Quick Reply: Noob trying to avoid exh drone