Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dead battery + infamous water leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:58 PM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

Default Dead battery + infamous water leak

So, this is kind of interesting. I'm hardly driving my 2005 GT during the winter but I went in to start it this morning and the battery was dead. Okay, fine. I hooked up a battery charger to it and after an hour the needle on the charger got better and then it got worse. Hmmm, maybe not enough time. So, I started up the car and it fired up. But, I now noticed that when I close the driver door the window doesn't finish going automatically up to get a good seal. Aaannd, this is kind of crazy and I swear I wasn't drinking, but when I turned on the blower for the heater up to 3 when the car was warming up the passenger door slightly opened, the window dropped that inch so the door could open, and the door ajar light came on. That was kind of freaky.

So, needless to say the car is at the dealership since the warranty is up in May. Since it's bumper to bumper they can look at everything. And while it's there for the electrical spasms I figured I'd have them address the rattles in the dash board and also test to see if it has that leak that so many people have complained of where the water comes in on the passenger side. I don't have any mildew and the carpet is dry but might as well have them look at it since it's there. I showed them the TSB that this message board posted so they know what to look for. Thank you to those who have shared their stories about that so the rest of us can check out our cars while they are hopefully still under warranty.

This forum really is a wealth of information. Anyone else experience freaky electrical things on their Mustangs?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Dead battery

well your electrical issues do sound related
to a bad battery and/or low voltage, out
of the alternator

i hope the dealership fixes everything on your list

Old 02-18-2008, 03:29 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Your window will work normally after the computer recycles in about 66 km's. Mine did the same thing but it will start working!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:43 PM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

Thanks, 2cokeman. I don't think the service guy was aware of that.

After I posted my post I saw other posts with dead battery issues. I see I'm not alone!!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:56 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I had the same issue a couple weeks ago, was going to get the car out of storage to put the new rims on it and it was dead as a doornail. Jumped it and everyhting as out of sync. I drove it for a while after doing the window adjustment setting and all was fine. Took 2 days to charge the stupid battery though.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:56 PM
rustic2169
1st Gear Member

I believe there may be something in your Ford manual about calibrating the windows as well, they may need that. I believe it is hitting the button so your window goes up all the way when the door is closed and holding the button for a few seconds to calibrate it. Don't quote me, but I believe I've seen this in the manual.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

rustic is right
Old 02-18-2008, 05:02 PM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

Excellent. These are good things to know for when the warranty is up!! Thank you.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
thcarpen
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem with the window. If you roll it up and down twice it resets itself to the right location. Also, I know there is a way to reset the windows another way but I cant remember. I think its something like if you hold both the driver and passenger window buttons to the up position for 5 seconds, the windows will reset.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 PM
alanlee112
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Dead battery + that infamous water leak

Update - may help someone else.

The dealership still has my car but they have called me twice with updates. So far the battery seems fine and they are going to give me the procedure on what to do if the battery dies again. Which is fine. I've been storing the car most of winter but wanted to be sure there wasn't another issue.

HOWEVER, I had a list of other things for them to check and one was that WATER LEAK on the passenger side of the car near the front. Mind you I checked the carpet and have no mildew smell or anything but THEY DID FIND A LEAK. I know there have been a few lengthy posts on this already but if you happen to take your Mustang in for something show them the TSB for the leak and have them check for it. I am so glad I had them check it since they did find an issue. They are waiting for the special silicon to patch the leak and the car should be ready tomorrow afternoon.

If it wasn't for Mustangforums I wouldn't have a clue about this. This site is awesome!!

Now what to do about those d___ spark plugs.

Quick Reply: Dead battery + infamous water leak