Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda Tri Ax or Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Tri Ax or Hurst Shifter

The Shelby GT has the hurst shifter that everyone's talking about. I don't like it at all except for the look which is awesome. It's very notchy and high effort, I will say it certainly is short. To get it into 3rd you have to bang it, but imagine you missed.........say goodbye to 3rd gear haha. I want to try the steeda, I'm thinking of getting one and have heard good things.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Would it be possible to take the hurst stick and ball and put it on the pro 5.0? Best of both worlds.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Balys
1st Gear Member

I drove with the stock shifter for the first few months after I bought my car. I test drove a few times the Shelby GT withe hurst and finally decided on the MGW and did the install myself. If you are dead set on the hurst or tri-ax I can't give you any help, but i can tell you the MGW is the one I found I liked the most. Much quieter, a much shorter shift depending on what you set it on (I have mine at 33% atm) and I have yet to miss any gear while shifting although reverse is a bit tough to get into at times. I also think the MGW ***** arem uch better looking than the hurst, but thats just me. I would suggest atleast looking into the MGW the install isn't hard in the least (I don't even know how to change my own oil, but did the install without any trouble) and I couldn't be happier with it. Just my thoughts hope you find what your looking for.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:51 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Shifters are like condoms...One type don't fit all. I've had several and I feel comfortable with my hurst. I don't care about specs and/or what some guy or book says is #1 I need to be comfortable shifting gears.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

MGW, by far the best.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:09 PM
RoushGT05
1st Gear Member

I have the Steeda Tri Ax and love it. My buddy had a MGW in is 01 GT and i liked the feel for it and i bought the Tri Ax for mine before i could find the MGW for mine.

I do however hate the fact that i cant get into fifth without playing with it some, It seems as if its farther over than all the other gears but then again im mostly driving in town and really dont use fifth alot.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Troon2004

I switched from the stock first to a Tri-ax and then to an MGW. IMO the MGW has a much more precise and shorter throw than even the Tri-ax (which isn't bad at all)IF, on the length of throw,you adjustthe MGW right up to, or at least very close to,the edge of the throwadjustment. The other thing I noticed was that there was NO "flextion" whatsoever of the MGW under "hard throws" and that the Tri-ax seemed to have some, albeit virtually none compared to the stock. Finally, and a little more subjectively speaking (although time will tell I suppose), if you compare the build and mounting of the MGW to the Tri-ax I think you'll agree that the MGW is, or at least appears to be,almost "unbreakable" vs. the Tri-ax.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 AM
docwine
1st Gear Member

I've had my Triax for about 8 months, love it. Powershift at the track, never ever miss third. I will say that 5th and R require a little more effort. If you want the look and feel, get the Triax and the new handle / ball. JMHO
Old 03-09-2008, 11:21 AM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Modaddict,

I just installed the Hurst, and it is a shorter throw than stock...how can you say that it is the same?? Cause its definitely not!!

Its short, notchy, eye-pleasing and comfortable...

Unless you are talking about just the basic Hurst, but then its pointless...the Competition Plus Hurst is the one to get...looks the same as basic Hurst and has the short throw of other shifters.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Brian76
1st Gear Member

Has anybody ever tried the B&amp;M short throw. I have a buddy that has one in his vette,and loves it

Quick Reply: Steeda Tri Ax or Hurst Shifter