Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda Tri Ax or Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:19 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Default Steeda Tri Ax or Hurst Shifter

Anyone have one of these. Please tell me your experiences. Is it smoother or quieter than stock? Please give info only if you have experience with any of these. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:05 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda Tri Ax or Hurst Shifter

i don't have experience with either of these, however i just wanted to set out a disclaimer for you. when people start chiming in, be prepared to hear nothing but mgw praise. so much that i just want to get it to see what the hype is all about
Old 02-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

My buddy has a steeda tri ax on his 04 vert and the throw is really short and overall is a good pice, and as far as the MGW goes I got one on my fox and love it.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

Ugh my finger sliped, I ment 05*
Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: blackS197
Anyone have one of these. Please tell me your experiences. Is it smoother or quieter than stock? Please give info only if you have experience with any of these. Thanks.
I have the Hurst, and it is not smoother or quieter than stock.
It has a click, clack ratchet feel and a short throw. Love.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 AM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

ORIGINAL: blackS197
I have the Hurst, and it is not smoother or quieter than stock.
It has a click, clack ratchet feel and a short throw. Love.

^
Yup, the Hurst is definitely not quiet and it has a 'notchy' feel when moving into gear (which I like).
The throw is much shorter than stock.
Can't speak for the Steeda or MGW but I've heard great things about them.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

All are upgrades over stock. You will hear the consensus for the biggest upgrade is MGW.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Heck, I know there is some brand loyalty, but let's not get all dillusional...lol

FACT - the hurst is IDENTICAL to the stock shifter. Lay them side by side and there is no difference. You can get the exact same throw/feel from the cheap saleen short throw adapter for a fraction of the cost. Now the hurst does have a bitchin looking stick and ball and that's why most like it but performance wise, if you powershift that thing at the track, you'll have the same results as the stock shifter.

The tri-ax is a stout shifter - right out of the box, lay it next to the stocker and you'll see a world of difference. It won't miss on a hard powershift but, like most of the true 'performance shifters' - it will be a little sludgy in 5th, and reverse.

I have had a hurst, tri-ax, and pro 5.0 to play with and that's where I'm making my opinions. I have heard some good stuff also about the MGW but I have never used it so can't make an educated opinion on it. The Hurst, Tri-Ax, and Pro 5.0 I know and I liked the pro 5.0 the best of the 3. Almost identical to the tri-ax, it had a little more stop bolt adjustment than the tri-ax so I liked it a little more. The hurst has NO adjustment what-so-ever.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

+1 for Hurst (using stock ****) - I don't think you'll find any perf after market shifter with less NVH than stock but that's fine with me.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:52 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

IMO the steeda tri ax is STOUT.I spoke to somea few folks:
one whoe autocrosses/track stuff said'lil dude, if you are just a streeter the Tri-Ax is more than enough....'
the place I wanted to buy it from was like "hell yeah, tri-ax' (go figure)
andan 05+ mustanger I repsect was like, 'dude, steeda sport is plenty for you.'

So bought the tri-ax...just in case, right? FI and some track work are possibilities in the future for me so I did not want to do something and then be like, 'damn, should have gone the other route"

as far as how it feels, right in line with modaddict. notchy, never miss 3rd,5th and R need some extra care to get into and it does resonate with some NVH viathe urethane bushings I used.

Quick Reply: Steeda Tri Ax or Hurst Shifter