Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo question?

i've been running the hellion kit for a year now. It's been great for me. right now i'm at abotu 13psi and probably 530ish rwhp (haven't been to the dyno since new fuel system and CMDP's). I plan on adding some more boost in the spring, probably going to the 76mm. Driveability has been great, zero issues with reliability. As far as power, it's ridiculous. As soon as the boost hits (3000 rpms) i can't get any traction below 60mph. I ran a 12.3 on my first time to the track on stock pirellis and no powershifting. With a little work and some sticky tires it should be easy mid 11's. AS far as lowering, mine is dropped about 1.5" in the rear, and it does scrape on a few speedbumps, but it did before also. The worst point is NOT where the exhaust goes under the a-arms like everyone says. Think about that - when you hit a bump, the wheel goes up, taking the pipe up with it. The worst point is actually where the exhause crosses under itself right next to the transmission. All my scrapes are on that pipe, NONE by the a-arms. It does make clearance a bit worse, but i don't like cars dropped 2-2.5" anyways. The 1.5" in the back leveled it out perfect. It's by no mean a deal breaker if you want a turbo though. And for your own good - find someone who has tuned these kits before!!! Brenspeed has a lot of experience on this particular kit, and made tuning mine look easy
Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

funny how nobody ever mentions how high their top speed is with a turbo... or a supercharger for that matter...
Turbos, especially twin turbos are in all the fastest exotics.

Anyway, go to the newsrack today. There's an article in one of the Mustang magazines out now that features what I believe was a S197 with a twin turbo... plus NOX! Putting out over 1000 hp!
It was an extensive mod, they moved the battery to the back and put the fuse box where the battery was. But it beats having just a plain old SC!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 AM
turbosaleen

By the way my top end is amazing. I hit full boost at 3300-3500 rpm and it pulls like b***h all the way to 6300 (it feels like it would pull to 7000k+)
Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turbosaleen

By the way my top end is amazing. I hit full boost at 3300-3500 rpm and it pulls like b***h all the way to 6300 (it feels like it would pull to 7000k+)
This is so true! It just goes and goes. It holds a steady 9.5psi all the way through 4th gear. 5th will cause some extra load on the turbo causingit to over boost to 11-12. Not good for a stock motor but my A/F stays perfect, which is good. I could adjust the boost controler to smooth out and control that overboost.,but it would be a trade off for the other 4 gears. I really don't need 9+ psi in 5th gear.

As it is, in 5th gear on low boost, it pulls up past 6,000 RPMS and keeps going. How fast is that? Anyone know how to do that math? It's on 295/35/18's. I should get my GPS out and just do a speed run to find out.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1
As it is, in 5th gear on low boost, it pulls up past 6,000 RPMS and keeps going. How fast is that? Anyone know how to do that math? It's on 295/35/18's. I should get my GPS out and just do a speed run to find out.
RPM/ transmission ratio / diff ratio X tire circumference(pi x diameter). At 6000rpm with stock tires top speed is close to 120mph in 4th gear and 4.10's.

Back on topic, hopefully, I'll have my STS twins installed next weekend and I can give an account of how it performs.I haven't actually seen anyone with the STS twin setup post on it, andthere are only a handful of STS singles on the board. All the Saleen, Whipple, and KB questionsseem to overwhelm just about all the post concerning all the availableturbo setups.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: breathegood

RPM/ transmission ratio / diff ratio X tire circumference(pi x diameter). At 6000rpm with stock tires top speed is close to 120mph in 4th gear and 4.10's.

Back on topic, hopefully, I'll have my STS twins installed next weekend and I can give an account of how it performs.I haven't actually seen anyone with the STS twin setup post on it, andthere are only a handful of STS singles on the board. All the Saleen, Whipple, and KB questionsseem to overwhelm just about all the post concerning all the availableturbo setups.
I was referring to 5th gear.

I only know of one guy with the twins. He was very happy. Hopefully you have already planned for a clutch. You will need it.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: breathegood

I was referring to 5th gear.

I only know of one guy with the twins. He was very happy. Hopefully you have already planned for a clutch. You will need it.
In theory, with your tires and gears, 5th gear top speed (@6000rpm)is 183.48mph. That is theoretical though. No friction, no aerodynamics issues, no engine load (which we all know is very high in 5th).....I'm guessing true top speed in 5th is in the 160-170mph range. Let us know when you find enough SAFE open road (or circle track)to check that with your GPS. It would be cool to see what setup makes the fastest (top speed) Mustang.

Off topic, are you using the intercooler from STS, or are you using a different IC.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 AM
ShadowMaster

My turn to chime in I suppose. I have recently had the new Team Performance Products "Heritage Twin Turbo System" installed on my stock '07 GT. The only thing we added was a single GT supercar fuel pump. We only had time for two dyno pulls so the shop made sure it was nice and safe for the initial outing at FFW Orlando. This kit comes with two Garrett dual ball bearing 54 mm turbos which are mounted down around the transmission. A carbon fiber belly pan comes with the kit to keep water and road debris out of the air cleaners. When I say my car is stock.....I mean 100% dead bone friggin' stock as delivered from Ford. Richard Lelsz of Strictly Performance did the initial tune. We are at 11.5 A/F ratio, 10 degrees timing, and 8 pounds of boost. At Orlando the car ran a best of 11.75 @ 123.58 mph in a 3865 pound Mustang GT. We need to work on the tune a little to get more low speed power but a converter is essential for drag racing. For street driving.....not needed. Turbos come up on boost around 2500 rpm and pull all the way through the traps. I also drove the car home from Strictly and in Orlando to get the D/R's mounted. Unless you put your foot down you don't even know the turbos are there. Smooth as a stocker. Lots of fun when you find a freeway onramp though.

I feel that with a converter and some additional tuning we should be able to lay down a solid 11-teen or 11-twenty pass at close to 125 mph. Then drive it out the gates with the A/C and stereo going with 24 mpg.

www.team-ppi.com
Old 03-05-2008, 11:49 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

But it beats having just a plain old SC!
I dont know I kind of like my plain old SC Honestly until you do internals it doesnt really matter what form of FI you have.

I took CK's advice and went t/s over a turbo because my car is a DD. Someday I would like to forge and run 15psi on pump gas.

Honestly on the street anything over 450rwhp will never hook on a street tire so it is academic.

ShadowMaster - Do you live in Orlando? If so you should come to one of the local meets some guys from the site set up. I would love to see your car.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 PM
ShadowMaster

No...I'm in Houston. There should be a couple more cars in the Orlando area with this kit soon. I know they delivered a complete kit to LaMotta's shop on Monday and took a deposit from another guy on Sunday afternoon.

Quick Reply: Turbo question?