Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pypes install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:39 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default Pypes install?

Hey guys, i got the mid system cat back from pypes w/ a frpp x pipe for xmas. I had my friends who are mec put install it. However the left side pipe is to fair to the right and a little to high, which cause my tips not to fit. My buddy says they need to get bent; to go to a shop. So i went to a shop and they sade the hole system is to fair left i think and they need to take it all apart, re install it; weld the tips and some minor cutting. The bill will come to 180 bucks when all is said and done.

does this sound right? is the price to high?(to high for me since i really didnt want to spend any money, lol.)

what should i do? the back of my left bumber is starting to melt..this sucks
Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Pypes install?

Get yourself some rhino ramps for $30. Hopefully you allready have atleast a socket set. Get under there and adjust it yourself. Most likely some of the pipes need to be twisted. The only thing I had to bend was the rear most hanger on the passenger side.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:23 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

I had to heat up & bend both hangers on the last section of pipe on the pass. side on mine. Either that, or have the hangers cut off & rewelded for alignment.
You can either pay a shop or do it yourself, just make sure you heat up the hangers before trying to bend them!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:38 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aircare84

I had to heat up & bend both hangers on the last section of pipe on the pass. side on mine. Either that, or have the hangers cut off & rewelded for alignment.
You can either pay a shop or do it yourself, just make sure you heat up the hangers before trying to bend them!
+ 1 for heating up the hangers - thats what I had to do with my MAC's to get 'em perfectly centered. You can buy a whole lot of blowtorches for the $180 the shop wants to charge you: http://eldoradotoolsales.com/bnz-jt680.html
Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 300GT

You can buy a whole lot of blowtorches for the $180 the shop wants to charge you: http://eldoradotoolsales.com/bnz-jt680.html
+1 and you get to play with fire! any hardware store sells a small blowtorch for $10. I heated mine and then hit it with a hammer while laying the hanger between two pieces of wood. A vise would make it much easier.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem when I had mine installed last week as I ran into alignment issues as well. The passenger side tip was about 1/2" lower than the driver side...looked like crap. Tried bending but finally just had them cut the bracket, align the tip and weld back. They only charged me $125 for everything. I simply do not have the time, patience or place to do it myself so the $125 was well worth it.

On the good side....they sound awesome!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Heavyg72

On the good side....they sound awesome!!!!
Best sounding mufflers i've tried yet. I Had both ford racing axle backs before the pypes. They really roar at WOT.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 AM
bplemmons
1st Gear Member

I bought a set of these about a month ago, After reading how much trouble people were having getting them to line up just right, I decided to take it to a shop, They fought with them and had to heat them up to get them to line up and hang evenly. When I saw how much trouble they were having I was glad to pay them the $80 for the installation. I had the Frrp stingers and even though they sound fantastic outside of the car I just couldnt get over the drone and trying to "drive around the drone zone" by running in a lower gear.
The Pypes mid mufflers are close to perfect to me and sound great inside and outside the car. I'm surprised I don't hear more about them on the forums. To me they seem to be what everyone is looking for.
The down side is the install though and the tips do stick out more than I would like but I will cut them off so they won't hit the hangers when you try to move them back..........

PS: thanks Moosestang, I bought these mostly on what you posted about them and you were dead on........

BP
Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

+ bplemmons....

I ordered mine from Brenspeed and had to wait 3 weeks due to them selling them so quickly. I spoke to Dave and they can't keep them in stock so I imagine we'll hear/see more of them very soon. The sound is awesome and exactly what I was looking for. I went from the Flows to the Pypes MM so you can imagine the difference I heard. From inside it just reminds me of the 90 LX 5.0 that I used to drive.

I highly recommend for the sound but just be prepared for the installation.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Dex
5th Gear Member

the drivers side was a little high while the other side was just fine. i just held onto it and hung on. bent it enough from just my weight that it worked out just fine.

Quick Reply: Pypes install?