Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What is a CAI/tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 AM
lswiger

Default What is a CAI/tune?

I've seen lots of people recommend a CAI/tune for the Mustang. I'm a newbie Mustang ownerand have no idea what this is. Can someone tell me what it is, where i can get one, how much it costs, and what it gains me?

Thanks.

'07 Performance White GT Convertible
Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 AM
reverendbiker

Default RE: What is a CAI/tune?

ORIGINAL: lswiger

I've seen lots of people recommend a CAI/tune for the Mustang. I'm a newbie Mustang ownerand have no idea what this is. Can someone tell me what it is, where i can get one, how much it costs, and what it gains me?

Thanks.

'07 Performance White GT Convertible
CAI stands for Cold Air Intake. It's a generic term and refers to a replacement air filter and intake tube/MAF sensor. It's not really accurate in most cases since the air is still coming from underneath the hood, but the idea is to flow more air into the throttle body. A tune is simply a computer program that replaces the program in your car's ECM (electronic control module) that controls variables such as timing, fuel injection, automatic transmission shifting properties, etc. The tune is a program that is written by someone who uses a chassis dynamometer to determine the optimum performance parameters for the installed hardware (intake, exhaust, etc). It is delivered to your vehicle through the OBD-II port (under the dash) via a handheld "tuner" device. The best tunes are written by a good tuner while your car is on a dyno--these are called "custom" or "dyno" tunes. They're best because they are tailored to your individual vehicle but they are the most expensive. "Semi-custom" tunes are written by tuners such as Brenspeed or Bamachips and are good general performance tunes that are tailored for the mods you've made to your car. You buy a tuner pre-loaded with these tunes and download them yourself. "Canned" tunes are tunes that come pre-loaded on the tuning devices.
Generally speaking, a CAI and tune will gain you 20-30 rear wheel horsepower and some other features like removal of the speed limiter and greatly improved shifting for your automatic transmission. Which is best? Don't ask here, or you'll get a million different opinions, most not supported by any real facts. Truth is, unless you get a custom dyno tune there's not a huge difference between the CAI's or the tunes. I've had several different CAI's and tunes by Bamachips and Brenspeed and there's not a heckuva lot of difference. I'm currently running a Steeda CAI and Brenspeed tunes and have written reviews for both of them; you might want to read them to learn more:
Steeda CAI Review
Brenspeed Tunes
Old 03-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A CAI & tune is about $600 + out of your pocket but worth every penny, putting a smile on your face and makes your butt pucker every time you step into it... in addition to the above.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:13 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Since you are asking for suggestions/help, personally I would pass on the CAI/Tune and go straight to a Super Charger or Turbo. They do cost much more but for HP per doller spent they are the best way to go.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Old 03-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

x3 if you got the money just get a supercharger
Old 03-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

x4....sorry just wanted to keep it going!!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

We can't all spend thousands of dollars on our car just yet.

I wish a I had a whipple.

Reverendbiker did a good job explaining it. The only thing I have to add:
The intakemakes you car a little louder at about 3k rpms or so, you can tell when it kicks in you get a deeper more "full" engine note.

The car pulls SO much harder, it is most definately worth every penny, especially if you have an automatic. It turns your "slushbox" into a "tightbox."
Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

CAI= Cold Air Intake
All the best intakes require a tune to adjust your air fuel ratio. Thats why u need the tune.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

suscribed.

Quick Reply: What is a CAI/tune?