Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

supercharger question for auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default supercharger question for auto

what kind of supercharger is best for the auto?
one that makes boost instantly or one that makes it higher in the power band? say from 3500 to redline?

pretty sure I want the saleen because of instant boost ,but have considered the paxton because of it's overall high hp numbers though boost does come in sooner... plus it's about a G cheaper then the other kits not to mention it looks ridiculously mean under the hood!!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:58 AM
RF2.1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger question for auto

Well, I'm not so much sure the automatic transmission is completely what you should be concerned about, so much as what you intend to do with the car after install. Will it be a daily driver, occasional track car, or full-time dragster? How much power are you wanting to produce, near- and long-term?

Conventional wisdom (as I have seen it, others may argue otherwise) is that twin screw blowers are great for daily drivers and occasional racers, while centri's are preferred for a car that will see most of its time on the drag strip. I'll admit to not being the most knowledgable, so others may have better advice/perspectives on that than I do. Regardless, deciding what you will be doing with the car is an important first step in what you should ultimately buy.

I have an automatic that will be a strict daily driver and will not see a lot of hard action. As such, I plan to keep things mild. I'll be buying my Whipple twin screw next month, but before then I'm installing a multi-plate torque converter, deep tranny pan, new radiator (all about the cooling in the deep South!), LCA's, and new valve covers to match the Whipple. Soon after, I'm looking to get new shocks and better tires. My main concerns since racing isn't as big a priority as daily drivability, are preserving the engine and transmission, and driving controlability on the street while getting to and from work.

You should be able to do any kind of supercharger with an automatic transmission, provided you carefully consider what you'll be doing. The input shaft on the 5R55S isn'tvery beefy, so too much power could trash your tranny. That being said, there are some guys on here and elsewhere running serious power/torque on the 5R55S. What they've done to their cars, though, I couldn't say.

To make a long post short, decide what your goals are, then decide which blower to get. Also, search around on these forums thoroughly, as a lot has been said on blowers for the S197, especiallyover the past year or two. Hopefully some of what I said has made some sense and is semi-correct, and hopefully the truly knowledgable folks will jump in and give some advice, too.

David
Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

One word .... Whipple !!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

ok...RF2.1 and alot of other people say that a twin-screw is better for the street...as it provided boost throughout the powerband.

Am I wrong in this making absolutely no sense to me??? Wouldnt the centri blower be better for the street as the boost doesnt come till about 3000 rpms?

This way when you are cruising around town or on the highway NOT beating on it, you would not be subjecting your engine to boost. But when you want to whomp the crap out of it, the boost will be there for you!

I plan on doing a centri blower for this reason. When I bring my kid to school, I dont need boost at 2000 rpms. But once I drop him off....
Old 03-03-2008, 12:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

re~RF2.1:

lol not so worried about the tranny because I will keep boost levels pretty safe (no more then 8 psi) just wondering what type of blower best suits the auto because it's power delivery is
different from a standard,just got the car,haven't floored it or anything though curious with a
tune/supercharger how the rpms drop in each gear after a shift and how boost will stay
on the auto between shifts.

I want something to occassionaly whoop on some really suped up imports this summer
(there are a few cars I want to take out to the cleaners,running 12s mid 11s)
and might swing by the drag strip a few times though not every weekend,
I also have alot of traveling in the future so I need something that wil last for the long
haul and not break.

The paxton numbers catch my eye because overall it makes a TON of power on a stock car (claimed 470-480WHP) but then again from what I hear they make peak power from something like 3500- redline (??) whereas the S3 makes it instantly though the power numbers are a little bit lower ,boost is there as soon as you get on it.Still trying to imagine the power delivery on the auto and if it would be wise to have all that power on tap being that no shifting is involved you just step on it and it's there. From what I have read the paxton reacts kinda like a turbo being that boost kicks in sooner where as the S3 would make it feel more like a big block.

Plus it's only like $4500 or something like that so I can get it much much sooner then the saleen.
Not planning a 600whp car or anything,just simple brute power supercharger/full bolt ons and that's about it.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangEsq

ok...RF2.1 and alot of other people say that a twin-screw is better for the street...as it provided boost throughout the powerband.

Am I wrong in this making absolutely no sense to me??? Wouldnt the centri blower be better for the street as the boost doesnt come till about 3000 rpms?

This way when you are cruising around town or on the highway NOT beating on it, you would not be subjecting your engine to boost. But when you want to whomp the crap out of it, the boost will be there for you!

I plan on doing a centri blower for this reason. When I bring my kid to school, I dont need boost at 2000 rpms. But once I drop him off....

You only boost on TS when you floor the pedal. I drive around town accelerating in vacumm. You can be at high rpm without boosting on a twinscrew.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Kenne Bell and auto trannies go well together
Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Yes, on a T/S no WOT=no boost. If you go WOT you get almost full boost at 2000rpms.

Personally for a street car (DD) with an auto I would defineatly go t/s. It will work the best with your stock gears and tight converter. The car will have more power every where on the tach. Also since you cant really control your gear or how the tranny shifts power ever where is good. To get the most out of a Centri you have to spin the motor to higher rpm's to make boost. With a manual it is easier to keep it in the sweet spot.

The reason people recommend centri's for track work is that at the track you are always at WOT and running the car to redline. On the street you will generally short shift so with a centri you will never see peak boost.

With my t/s I can short shift easily but still make full boost, this keeps me from having to run it to redline to make power. At the end of the day high revs kill motors faster than mileage.

Thats my 2 cents.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:37 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Ditto - you can drive a TS 1000 miles and never see boost if you don't want to...

My advice is to try to take some rides in both and see the difference for yourself.

A good idea is to get aquainted with a local car club to get some info and rides in other set-ups.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

(there are a few cars I want to take out to the cleaners,running 12s mid 11s)
If that's really what you want to do while preserving your tranny, I would suggest the Procharger or Paxton. The centris are not nearly as hard on the auto tranny as a TS as they produce relatively low torque down low and on the launch. Also it will be MUCH easier to maintain traction on the launch with a centri on an auto. If you need to get off the line even quicker and you want to run drag radials/slick, etc, then a higher stall T/C would get you to where you want to be. It would be very difficult to get in the 11's with a TS and street tires.

Lastly, look at Brenspeed website and lok at some vids of the paxton on his auto. The power delivery seems just right for those street tires. Also i would give Brent a call and he can lead you more in the right direction, he's very knowledgable as to what works with what.

Quick Reply: supercharger question for auto