Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

supercharge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 PM
finally got one

Default supercharge?

Hey fellas, I'm thinking of going supercharged NOW. Is it smart to do this with stock internals or what? How much can a stock motor take? Any imput will help.. Thanks guy's
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharge?

first and foremost define smart? It has been posted several times on here...I understand your quandry. no one on here is going to be able to gaurantee that your car will have absolutely no problems if you supercharge your engine. then again,. you could have problems leaving it stock as well. now any supercharger application the first thing you need to make sure of is HAVE A GREAT TUNE. the tune is the link between car running great vs car going boom.....as far as what supercharger...thats something you need to research. so to the original question, is it smart to do with stock internals or what? I will go with what.... you can supercharge your engine, have the best tune....take every precaution and still go boom if something fails in your car...end of discussion...whats the odds of that happening, who knows...but ultimately you will have to gauge your risk vs rewards...is the reward of 100++ hp and a permagrin on your face worth the risk of your car going boom....only you can answer that..some may come on here and tell you stats like hey i know 7,000,000 (exaggerated for effect) guys who supercharged their cars and only went 8 psi and they had absolutely no issues...and in all they may be accurate...however I refer back to my original point........there is always the chance....what the chance is, I could not tell you....would I do it...well the answer is in my signature.[8D]...should you do it...tough to answer....so I will ask you...should you?

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!![sm=gears.gif]whatever you decide...enjoy
Old 03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Engine going boom or not. its worth it.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

With a good tune, you'd be fine with anything at 10 psi or less. If 10 psi or less will satisfy you, than stick with the stock engine. Personally, even if you want to go higher I see no reason to build the bottom until you break something, then just buy a built short block.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:04 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

There are literally thousands of people who are runni ng forced induction on a stock 3 valve. You see very few motors letting go.
good tune, good gas and you are pretty safe up to approximately 450 RWHP.
Some of us are pushing it farther too.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:19 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

I have to say that on this forum alone there are alot of people with S/C's of one type or another. The number of people that have toasted their cars are ones that have pushed their boost levels to extremes for racetrack applications. I've been on this forum for around 2 years and I truthfully can't recall anyone blowing their motor with boost levels of 10lbs or less. It's all in the tune and boost levels and whether your abusing your car to a level where even if it wasn't boosted you'd probably blow it up. I often find it amusing that a large majority of people go with certain blowers because of the ability to pump the boost up to 18 or higher. I also find that there are damn few of us who do this. The cost of going higher in boost starts to add up to some serious money in a hurry. If you are an avid racer then get ready to shell out major dollars for built bottom ends, clutches, tranny's, suspension mods, and an assortment of other things which add up to major dollars. If your like 98% of us on this forum then a S/C that is dependable and a tuner you can trust, and you keep the boost levels below 10lbs. you should have a car you can enjoy for a long time. I have been totally awed at how dependable these little motors are even with there ****ty rods. Dependable S/C, super tuner, and boost levels of 10lbs or less = alot of fun. Research the different S/C's and tuners and go for it.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I have been running with mine since August of 2007, it was a daily driver until 2 weeks ago when I purchased a truck (out of need), but I have had no engine problem, but clutch/bearing that is a different story, but that is mostly due to the lame a$$e$ that installed the clutch, the only other problem I have not been able to solve is the shifting at high rpm, major torque bind.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Supercharger = GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 PM
hypersurf1
2nd Gear Member

Many of us are running blowers with no issues. I agree that a good tune is paramount but the canned tunes from the manufacturers are usually pretty safe if anything. If you get a custom tune make sure its from a experienced supercharger installer. Good luck, you will love a blower.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I've been running a 10 psi whipple with a lead foot and a stiff clutch for over a month. (Boost gauge has actually peaked near 11 psi on a few occasions.) No problems thus far.

Quick Reply: supercharge?