Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

N/A horsepower potential

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: N/A horsepower potential

You should contact Ron Leonard (Spydershaft manufacturer) of Leonard Racing Products. He's deep into the elevens with a stock longblock naturally aspirated.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
flolo
1st Gear Member

Im set on the saleen blower now. No goin back. this is what im thinkin to start off with. (I like it be cause its upgradable in stages...Im gonna start w/ the base kit and a tune, then probly get the stage 2 or 3 from brenspeed down the road)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

my next predicament is tuning. I have the sct from bama now. Should i be able to get the new tunes emailed from him? from my research it seems that brenspeed has the best tunes for these superchargers. would i be able to have brenspeed email me a tune for my xcal that has my original bama tunes? ive e mailed them both but no response yet.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM
docwine
1st Gear Member

When you change to a saleen from brenspeed. It will be TUNED for the sc from them / Saleen. Your Bama tunes won't be used any longer. Yes, you will be able to use your current SCT tuner. Give Brenspeeda call and let them know your intensions and they will take good care of you. BTW, your going to need to put your stock pulleys back on.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 PM
8URGTO
1st Gear Member

First, Where are you all coming up with the 5k figure? Livernois stage 2 ported heads are 2k and comp stage 3 cams are $600. That's only 2600 dollars for the parts. One of the most expensive shops here in town only quoted me 1000-1500 for the full install w/tune. That's only 3600 to 4200 installed and tuned. And where are you all getting the "only 40/50 Hp" figure? You'll get that from the heads alone and THEN you'll get another 30 Hp "on average" from the cams with the heads.

You people amaze me with how you bash cams and ported heads... it's soooo funny to sit here and read about how everybody follows one path and bashes people who want to do something else. You know the guy on this forum who bought a set of cams and was moaning and groaning because all he got was a 23 Hp improvement to the rear wheels? He got exactly what the manufacture said he would get. It's no different than the pushrod cams. A camshaft is only going to do so much with the variables that are around it.. i.e heads, compression ratio..etc. It's just much more costly on these motors. It's their money, let them do what they will with it and quit bashing them.

Anyway, 12 seconds... good rear suspension, gears, basic bolt-ons and sticky tires and your there.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8URGTO
First, Where are you all coming up with the 5k figure? Livernois stage 2 ported heads are 2k and comp stage 3 cams are $600. That's only 2600 dollars for the parts. One of the most expensive shops here in town only quoted me 1000-1500 for the full install w/tune. That's only 3600 to 4200 installed and tuned. And where are you all getting the "only 40/50 Hp" figure? You'll get that from the heads alone and THEN you'll get another 30 Hp "on average" from the cams with the heads.

You people amaze me with how you bash cams and ported heads... it's soooo funny to sit here and read about how everybody follows one path and bashes people who want to do something else. You know the guy on this forum who bought a set of cams and was moaning and groaning because all he got was a 23 Hp improvement to the rear wheels? He got exactly what the manufacture said he would get. It's no different than the pushrod cams. A camshaft is only going to do so much with the variables that are around it.. i.e heads, compression ratio..etc. It's just much more costly on these motors. It's their money, let them do what they will with it and quit bashing them.

Anyway, 12 seconds... good rear suspension, gears, basic bolt-ons and sticky tires and your there.
Hi 8URGTO,

Sorry to burst your bubble but even if you have every good intake bolt-on (CAI w/high-flow intake tubeand 90mm+ MAF, 62mm T/B, CMCV delete plates) and everybolt-on for the exhaust side the most anybody'sfully preppedheads complete with laid back valve seatsin the chamber, undercut valves w/multi-angle valve job 1mm larger valves, Comp Stage3 cams complete with beehives and Ti retainers and locks is going to give you is maybe 45-55RWHP. At this point youwill also need bigger 32-34lb.injectors and agood tune becauseyou will be pushing an honest 410bhp+.

But I agree, $5K is not an accurate price even if you have a good shop do your ca/spring install.

HTH!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
8URGTO
1st Gear Member

You didn't burst my bubble, but you DID validate my point. You said all that work will net you 55-60 RWHP... yes and at the crank what did that net you??? 70- 90 crank Hp.. So there is another point to be brought up.... Many people said that getting 400 N/A Hp was impossible, but it can be done with enough $$$...
ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: 8URGTO

Hi 8URGTO,

Sorry to burst your bubble but even if you have every good intake bolt-on (CAI w/high-flow intake tubeand 90mm+ MAF, 62mm T/B, CMCV delete plates) and everybolt-on for the exhaust side the most anybody'sfully preppedheads complete with laid back valve seatsin the chamber, undercut valves w/multi-angle valve job 1mm larger valves, Comp Stage3 cams complete with beehives and Ti retainers and locks is going to give you is maybe 45-55RWHP. At this point youwill also need bigger 32-34lb.injectors and agood tune becauseyou will be pushing an honest 410bhp+.

But I agree, $5K is not an accurate price even if you have a good shop do your ca/spring install.

HTH!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:12 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Also, we've been spoiled int he past with bigger cube engines.
So, you take a 351, put AFR heads (205) on it and it's an instant 70hp.
Add a Z cam with it and you have another 40/50 ponnies.

Now with a 281ci, you have more of a challenge, so... FI comes to mind.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Anything is possible with the right amount of money. All these people are trying to say by going FI is to get it done for the best bang for the buck. you can push 400 N/A maybe or go FI and get a good 450 Nominal horsepower from it for the same price. Thats all man, they don't really intend to knock the question of going N/A but rather point out why would you go that route. Lastly don't get angry bro
Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

That's what noobs do...

Sean Hyland has afew recipeof 4.6 (5.4 too) mills that get into 500hp range N/A.
Problem is, it's almost 10K for one of those...

So we're back to square one, is it worth it? Or should I FI for less and kick @ss anyway?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:41 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

That's only 3600 to 4200 installed and tuned. And where are you all getting the "only 40/50 Hp" figure? You'll get that from the heads alone and THEN you'll get another 30 Hp "on average" from the cams with the heads.
Please post your dyno showing that. I think 30 HP for cams is pretty wishful.
I have not seen anyone get 50 from ported heads alone. so you got 80 HP from cams with no springs and heads? I would like to see the mod list and dyno sheet.
If you buy decent cams you need springs, locks & retainers. Those are not free. What about head gaskets, those are a hundred? How about fluids? Labor is going to around sixteen hours shop time.

You just quoted 4200 and left a few things out.
It is 4500-5K to have cams heads and all the asociated parts.
People only see up to330 with all the bolt ons. If cams and heads added 80 HP then all these n/a guys with cams/heads would be pushing 400. They arent.

Oh and I did not see anybody getting bashed.

Quick Reply: N/A horsepower potential