Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen SC OWNERS!!!! Need some advise and help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:54 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

Default Saleen SC OWNERS!!!! Need some advise and help

I just got done with my install and took the car for a drive...want to know what i felt was normal or i have something wrong. Here is the configuration

2.95 pulley
8 rib kit
JBA LTs
4.10 gears
bullet motor mounts
60lb inj
gt500 dual fuel pumps
GT500 TB

things i experienced on first test run

1. It seems to hesitate at takeoff more than when there wasn't a SC

2. This is the first SC car i have ever owned so part of what i am going thru my be noobie stuff...it seems to build boost quite fast so when i am at about 3k rpms it see 10lbs boost on my gauge...never went higher when i got to about 4.5k rpms

3. At what RMP does it build max boost....

4. I didnt see over 10lbs maybe 11lbs...am i too guess this is the max i am going to make with a 2.95 pulley. I am at about 3800 feet of altitude so i know there is some loss due to this.

5. if 10lbs is all I am going to get is this a good number to be at too keep the engine together so i can beat on it from time to time

6.what HP/TQ will this give me at the wheels

7.being i am having a big hesitation on takeoff could this be due to that set screw on the driverside where the vac actuator is at? I did have to remove it too install the rear bolt

8. Am i too assume a SC builds max boost under a certain RPM and it keeps it there thru all the RPMs above that certain RPM....so lets say it is at max boost at 2k putting down 10lbs of boost. so i would assume at all RPM stages from 2k to 5k it would be seeing 10lbs of boost. am i correct in my thinking?

9. I assume when i am at max boost the A/F mix should be stable at about 11.5-11.7 a/f...correct?

10. would data logging show all of this and if so how do i do this. I have a Aeroforce gauge showing my way but the sensor is from the AEM uego O2 setup...will the AEm do datalogging?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen SC OWNERS!!!! Need some advise and help

I can't answer your saleen questions, but if you just want to record your air/fuel ration you can do it through the aeroforce gauge. Just leave the gauge on your air/fuel and rpms and set it to record in the menu. When you pass 1/2 throttle it will start recording and won't stop for 60 seconds or so. Then go back into the menu and select play. You can see each frame by pressing the button and it will show you your air/fuel and rpm.

I still don't understand why everyone assumes a certain amount of boost is going to break their engine. Power and torque will ultimately pull apart your rods IMO. That's assuming detonation doesn't get them first. If you can make 600rwhp with only 10psi of boost, you are still just as likely to throw a rod. More horsepower just means the rotating assembly is moving faster and moving faster puts more stress on everything.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:47 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotairgypsy

I just got done with my install and took the car for a drive...want to know what i felt was normal or i have something wrong. Here is the configuration

2.95 pulley
8 rib kit
JBA LTs
4.10 gears
bullet motor mounts
60lb inj
gt500 dual fuel pumps
GT500 TB

2. This is the first SC car i have ever owned so part of what i am going thru my be noobie stuff...it seems to build boost quite fast so when i am at about 3k rpms it see 10lbs boost on my gauge...never went higher when i got to about 4.5k rpms

3. At what RMP does it build max boost....

4. I didnt see over 10lbs maybe 11lbs...am i too guess this is the max i am going to make with a 2.95 pulley. I am at about 3800 feet of altitude so i know there is some loss due to this.

5. if 10lbs is all I am going to get is this a good number to be at too keep the engine together so i can beat on it from time to time

6.what HP/TQ will this give me at the wheels

7.being i am having a big hesitation on takeoff could this be due to that set screw on the driverside where the vac actuator is at? I did have to remove it too install the rear bolt

8. Am i too assume a SC builds max boost under a certain RPM and it keeps it there thru all the RPMs above that certain RPM....so lets say it is at max boost at 2k putting down 10lbs of boost. so i would assume at all RPM stages from 2k to 5k it would be seeing 10lbs of boost. am i correct in my thinking?

9. I assume when i am at max boost the A/F mix should be stable at about 11.5-11.7 a/f...correct?

10. would data logging show all of this and if so how do i do this. I have a Aeroforce gauge showing my way but the sensor is from the AEM uego O2 setup...will the AEm do datalogging?
1. My car is just as snappy as when I was N/A with CAI and 4.10s. The exception would be when the engine is cold and then I can get some hesitation.

2. My boost guage pegs over to 10lbs almost instantly when I mash the throttle. Dunno know why yours doesn't go higher with the 2.95 pulley. You should be showing, what, 14 lbs?

3. Not sure but I bet I'm 'all in' by 3K.

4. Interesting. I make around 10 (maybe a little more) with the 3.4" here in the flatlands. I know elevation has an effect but 4 lbs at 3500'?

5. It's not the boost it's the TQ (actually its the cylinder pressure) that kills over time. What are you showing on the dyno?

6. 10 lbs produces a range of usually 425-450 rwhp (depending on a whole lot of factors). You can get outliers at either end of course.

7. Dave at Brenspeed installed mine and I have not monkeyed with any of the adjustments.

8. I *think* that's true for twin screws (unlike turbos or centris that continue to make more boost the harder you spin them).

9. Sounds exactly right.

10. See Moose's answer

I'd direct these same questions to the vendor you bought your tune from.

Sounds like a saweet setup. Keep us posted!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:11 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I don't know why you're not seeing more than 10lbs of boost. You should be higher than that. You should be using the 'vacuum upgrade kit'

BY 3000 rpm you should be seeing at least 90% of your max boost with these things.

I am assuming you got your tune from JDM. That hesitation you talk about is inherent in all JDM tunes, it's only off idle, right?
I had my car dyno tuned at a different shop once and the hesitaiton was gone, however it didn't produce as much power, the boost didn't come on as quick, and i later found out, I was running a little lean. So i went to JDM to have it dyno tuned just to make sure, and sure enough the hesitation off idle was there.

Yesterday, I got my new updated 10psi tune Emailed to me from JDM (free lifetime support) and the hesitation is there too, so I guess that's the way they run them.

I was considering getting a tune from Brenspeed too, but I'd have to buy a Steeda CAI and MAFbecause Brenspeed has no experience using Lightning MAF's.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

i was wondering if the hesitation was something to do with the traction control ...in my last tune it was turn off but this one the light is not on..i didnt push the button too see if it would turn on but i was thinking about that after i got back
Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
kolb02
2nd Gear Member

Hey man i feel your pain Im at 3300ft and your boost is pretty much right on. Im running a 3.0 pulley and tune from Brenspeed and only making 9psi when that pulley makes 11.5 to 13psi at sea level. you will lose 2-3lbs at are elevation. If you have any other ? let me know us high elevation guys need to stick together. Also where did you get the 8 rib kit from and how much did it cost?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hotairgypsy

2.95 pulley
8 rib kit
JBA LTs
4.10 gears
bullet motor mounts
60lb inj
gt500 dual fuel pumps
GT500 TB

Mine doesn't do that

Like previously said, it's hard to keep an eye on the boost gauge, but the faster they spin, the more power they make. Saleen advertises only 6 PSI with my pulley, and so does Brenspeed, but that's @ the factory rev limiter. At ~6500 I make 7, 7.5, give or take.

3. At what RMP does it build max boost.... As fast as you can spin it before you blow it up

4. I didnt see over 10lbs maybe 11lbs...am i too guess this is the max i am going to make with a 2.95 pulley. I am at about 3800 feet of altitude so i know there is some loss due to this. Altitude definitely plays a part in that, however, I have read posts on here that longtubes also cause some boost loss due to less backpressure.. Don't know the truth to that, I don't have LTs.

Like Moose said, boost and boom are not directly related. HP/Torque is what'll kill ya.

6.what HP/TQ will this give me at the wheels You need to get dyno'd

7.being i am having a big hesitation on takeoff could this be due to that set screw on the driverside where the vac actuator is at? I did have to remove it too install the rear bolt Could be, but could also be the tune, like drbovs mentioned. I have a Brenspeed tune (blower installed by Dave @ Brenspeed), and no problems. Look up a guy on here called (I think) sevenleaf. He had an issue with his blower when he removed that set screw during the install..

8. Am i too assume a SC builds max boost under a certain RPM and it keeps it there thru all the RPMs above that certain RPM....so lets say it is at max boost at 2k putting down 10lbs of boost. so i would assume at all RPM stages from 2k to 5k it would be seeing 10lbs of boost. am i correct in my thinking? Ehh.. It'll be in the neighborhood.

9. I assume when i am at max boost the A/F mix should be stable at about 11.5-11.7 a/f...correct? That's where you WANT it to be, but is it there? Only a Wideband or a dyno will tell you that..

Moose's answer on that one..

You didn't mention in your post, but you don't have underdrive pullies, do you?? If so, take them off, you're underdriving the supercharger (reducing the amount of boost you make by spinning it slower)!!

I have a pulley that's almost 3/4" larger than yours (.65" to be precise), and I make only 3 PSI less than you, so yeah, I think something might be funky with something..
Old 03-08-2008, 11:22 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kolb02

Hey man i feel your pain Im at 3300ft and your boost is pretty much right on. Im running a 3.0 pulley and tune from Brenspeed and only making 9psi when that pulley makes 11.5 to 13psi at sea level. you will lose 2-3lbs at are elevation. If you have any other ? let me know us high elevation guys need to stick together. Also where did you get the 8 rib kit from and how much did it cost?
this is who i bought my SC from and i got the 8 rib from him in with the deal

http://www.bggperformance.com/

I do not have a problem with knowing i am at 10-11 lbs of boost...it seems 8-10 or lower keeps these engines together until you need to replace the rotating assembly
Old 03-08-2008, 11:25 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

i do not hav UDPs...never have believed in them
Old 03-08-2008, 11:34 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Ehh.. If you're hellbent on staying NA, it's a decent mod for 8-10HP. I would never do them just because of the cost & hassle of installation vs that small gain (plus I knew the day I bought the car I was going FI), but to each his own..

Quick Reply: Saleen SC OWNERS!!!! Need some advise and help