Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best way to clean CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
frd06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best way to clean CAI?

ORIGINAL: exx1976

ORIGINAL: brad281

I used the k&n kit on my jlt intake air filter. Worked good. Exx1976, I wouldn't use the k&n on your filter unless you have a red one. Oil from kit is red. Worked fine to match my jlt, but not a blue steeda. Cleaning the filter is the easy part, applying the oil evenly is the hard part.
So what can I use for the Steeda? Or is it not a serviceable filter and needs to be replaced? The bag it came in was kind of oily, so I would think it's the same principle as a K&N..
Same thing with the BBK, I thoughtdoes this need oiled? Its notvery oily.I emailed Brenspeed and they said you can clean them with theK&N stuff or buy a new one. He said most people buy new ones. But they're like $40!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have the Steeda CAI and have about 8k-9k miles on it. Although I don't intend on cleaning it until around 15k miles (or when my mileage records indicate a noticeable drop), I'll be using one of the cleaning kits to maintain the blue. I Googled it a few weeks ago and there are kits out thereat reasonable prices (about $10-12 if I recall). It's not a bad idea, however, to buy a 2nd filter to install when you remove the 1st one for cleaning. That way, you can still use the vehicle while washing one of the twoand then simply rotate your filters at whatever frequency you desire.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:26 PM
AlloyGT281

u can clean the steeda cai with this

http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ke_cleaner.php
Old 03-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

thanks for the link.. now the temptation.. i just put on my CAI should i wait and buy it when i need it.. or get it now and let it collect dust for a year before i finally use it? hmmmmzzz...
Old 03-13-2008, 05:25 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT06GT

I just replaced mine at 18K miles, so the filter had 17K miles on it. It depends more on where u live, but I dont judge it by milage, I judge it by how it looks. If its red its fine, if its Blackish ( on my C&L Filter) Its time for a chage. That Filter went through 1 year and 2 camping trips that included about 10 miles of dirt road driving each.

BTW incase you do clean yours, dont ever use any compressed air on the filter to blow things out of it. You will damage the fibers on the filter, push the crap into it deeper, and blow out the oil. (sounds obvious, but I did make that mistake once before while cleaning my engine bay)
how much did you pay for your new c&l filter? and where, just the c&l site?
thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM
AlloyGT281

I would wait until you actually need to clean it. Who knows they may come out with something better or cheaper?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

did mine 2 days ago

get the K&N filter cleaning kit
comes with cleaner and Oil

Take filter off spray down filter with cleaner put in a clean bucket and let it soak so all the dirt drips down on the bucket then after 10 mintues

wash off from inside pushin out the debris

then let it completely dry naturally..... no heaters or blowdryer or nothing when it is completely dry spray down with oil not to much....then wait 20 min or until dry and u can see the spots where there is no oil..fill in the spots...then....wait let it dry again......put filter back on...and ur good for another 20K or so..althought i clean at every 10K
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Hmm, good advice guys!

Didn't know you can go 15,000+ miles without cleaning it. Great to know!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I used this on my Airaid Filter with great results.....
Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

k&n afew years back did some tests and found with the new senitive intakes,just shake them out and run it.dyno by i can't remember who did it,but it agreed.i do mine every 2 months.

Quick Reply: Best way to clean CAI?