Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need help choosing LT headers that will work w/ my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help choosing LT headers that will work w/ my exhaust

Hey guys,

I am going to pull the trigger and order some LT headers in the next few days. I have a few questions though.

1. Which LT headers would be best to go with considering I am running Mac Boom Tubes and a Mac O/R X pipe? I am not sure which ones to go with.

2. What is the install time like on these? I will be doing this with a good friend of mine. We need to raise the engine to install them right?

3. What type of HP gains can I expect JUST from the addition of the LT headers? I have heard 10-20 RWHP, is this in the ball park?

My car is goingto stay N/A, it's a '06AUTOGT vertand I am probably not going to mess with rebuilding the engine....so I am trying to get all the "blot on mods" that I can that will add HP. I already have CAI + brenspeed tune, o/r x pipe, under drive pulley, CMDP and am going to do 3.73 gears in the spring.

4. Are there any other mods that will add HP? What about COP, I have heard mixed things, some say 8-10 HP gains, others say it is not worth it.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help choosing LT headers that will work w/ my exhaust

First let me say check this page out: http://www.mo dded mustangs.com/ford-mustang-long-tube-header-install.html

** TAKE THE SPACES OUT OF THAT URL! I DON'T KNOW WHY THAT SITE IS STARED OUT LIKE A BAD WORD ON HERE! **

I don't have LT headers yet but I'll try to answer the best I can from what I've read so far.

1) Any brand will work just fine, it mainly comes down to price. Although, a lot of times the cheaper ones will be harder to install. I've heard the best quality headers that install easier are American Racing Headers and Kooks.

2) &lt;snip&gt; but you do need to jack the car up a good amount. A lift will make it MUCH easier. EDIT: I stand corrected.

3) That sounds about right AFAIK. Remember you need to get your tune modified for LTs.

4) NOS?

I plan on getting American Racing Headers myself. They are probably the most expensive, but from what I've heard are the best quality and painless to install (compared to others at least).
Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

your current x pipe is trash, the LTs will need there own midpipe

Yes you need to raise the engine, take steering shaft out, and remove the starter

Yes gains will range somewhere in there (10-15)

I think you need to do some more research here....COPS might or might not give noticable gains....i have got the accels ready to install soon
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you're gonna need a short mid pipe when you get the LT's, and w/ BT's o/r x pipe or prochamber sounds good, idk about h pipe but you can be the 1st to try it out, i think it will sound good too.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Iwould go with a catted x-pipe set-up, recommend KOOKS, SLP, Dynatech, get the matching mid-pipefor whichever brand,
an off road will get you better hp gains but the sound is atrocious and no way you will pass emmisions (any state).

I dyno'd before and after LT install and gained exactly 13rwhp/10rwtq with the bigger 1 3/4 " primaries, catted x-pipe.

My set-up is pretty loud and very aggressive: http://www.houndbite.com/?houndbite=848
H pipe would probably be a little less aggressive so if sound is important to you thats a consideration.

Get the 3.73s as soon as possible (very fun), just be careful you will burn through tires quick !

one last thing:
Take the opportunity to replace the motor mounts when installing LTs since you have the motor up, wish I would have!! lol

Good Luck
Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 AM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

One more thing to add--Mac makes a mid-length header or a shorty. With the mid-length header, you will have to run a mac mid-pipe or have a custom one made.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:20 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: desslok40

an off road will get you better hp gains but the sound is atrocious and no way you will pass emmisions (any state).
I beg to differ I am running the macs with a o/r x switched from a o/r h and both set ups sound good but with the x its just nasty mean now.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

How to install LT headers - here is the best write-up I've found: http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...ks_Install.pdf