Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shorty headers just installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 PM
00silverStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Shorty headers just installed!

so you say it actually quieted your exhaust down some? i have an o/r h and macs and would cry if my exhaust got quieter, i love the loud and obnoxious-ness of them.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

nice post man, i was wondering alot about those lately.. looking at the drag pack, trying to gather info... congrats.. they look sweet.. always use more HP too! =D
Old 03-19-2008, 03:41 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Congrats on the shorties and the TQ you gained by the seat of your pants feel!!!!!!!!! I would rather gain TQ than 10-15 HP for a street car that doesn't see the track and would like a better looking shorty like yours should I go that route in the future! Thanks for the post...good info....now do you have a dyno of before and after? would be nice to see documented gains.....
Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I put the JBA shorties on the same week I did my stingers. I noticed a difference in sound and low end torque. The shop said he noticed it also.

I like my shorties. I wish I got the ceramic coated version but, oh well.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

For a while I had the shorties ruled out, but now I'm starting to reconsider.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I am considering shorties. Most of the comparisons to longtubes I've seen aren't apples to apples comparisons. For instance, a lot of people will put on shorties with a stock midpipe then they compare "a friends" with longtubes and O/R pipe or high flow cats. Of course there is going to be a big difference. To do an apples to apples comparison you'd need to compare to similar midpipes. I know when I installed my O/R X I lost .2 off my 1/4 mile time. I don't think that was a coincidence. I also agree that you are probably going to see a difference in where the gains occur. Shorties will probably have the biggest effect down low where longtubes will have more of a difference up high. For light to light racing, you're probably better off with shorties, for track racing where you spend a lot of time in upper RPM's, longtubes might be a better choice. My opinion, and don't flame me for this, is that I can't justify the added expense of longtubes with for the little difference in performance. If I had plans to go FI, I might consider longtubes as I believe this is where longtubes shine. Also, not all shorties are built the same. THe best shorties are tuned length such as what the OP's shorties appear to be.

Let the flaming begin.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Sir Knight, let me know how your car sounds if you end up getting the shorties. I haven't heard a stang withshort tubersand the corsa axlebacks.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SONICBOOST3

are these headers carb legal?
I don't thing the BBK's are. I have been looking for CARB certified as well. JBA were the only CARB certified for awhile, but now Edelbrock makes CARB certified shorties. I am thing of getting these ones.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
mustang fanatic
1st Gear Member

Wow, great to hear since I live in Cali longtubes are out of the question with all these crazy liberal laws. Got any pics of the engine bay with those beautiful headers in? Also would you recommend install for an amateur/novice mechanic?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:32 PM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang fanatic

Wow, great to hear since I live in Cali longtubes are out of the question with all these crazy liberal laws. Got any pics of the engine bay with those beautiful headers in? Also would you recommend install for an amateur/novice mechanic?
I have the 1 1/2" JBA Ceramic Silver Shorties installed in a Vista Blue. I'll see if the lighting and my cell phone can take a good picture. Install was easy - Raise and support engine, remove motor mounts, disconnect lower steering shaft, unbolt and drop starter (no need to remove any wiring), and then change mainfolds for headers. It took me about 5 hours by myself.

Quick Reply: Shorty headers just installed!