Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple MAF bolts: What size & help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:06 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Default Whipple MAF bolts: What size & help!!

Whipple says to install the stock T20's, or supplied 4mm bolts. There are no 4mm bolts, M4's from the store do not thread all the way, and for sure the stock T20's do not.
WTF do I do? All I have left is the fuel pump and some odd wiring, and the install is done, but can't run the car if I have no MAF!

Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 04:38 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple MAF bolts: What size & help!!

i had to use a couple of small washers on
each of the MAF screws.....as long as the MAF
is seated, then it's in position....

Old 03-23-2008, 04:52 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Hammeron, I had to do the same thing. The threads were full of paint, and not cut very well, almost like they used a taperd tap instead of a bottoming tap. Oh well, they are in tight now (almost scary tight) but if I ever remove the MAF, I will be re-tapping to a larger bolt done properly.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:01 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I took the thing into ace hardware and just kept trying different bolts. I got some alen head bolts that screwed all the way in, but now they ar all rusted![:@] I can't remember what size they were. Why they are still sending out kits without these bolts is beyond me. Maybe no one has told them.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

Hammeron, I had to do the same thing. The threads were full of paint, and not cut very well, almost like they used a taperd tap instead of a bottoming tap. Oh well, they are in tight now (almost scary tight) but if I ever remove the MAF, I will be re-tapping to a larger bolt done properly.
I wish I had seen this yesterday. I was aggravated with the quality of the thread tap for the MAF mounting bolts as well, so I used a cheapo harbor freight tap and die set to re-cut the threads for a larger bolt instead.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

I wish I had seen this yesterday. I was aggravated with the quality of the thread tap for the MAF mounting bolts as well, so I used a cheapo harbor freight tap and die set to re-cut the threads for a larger bolt instead.
What size did you tap it too Niner?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aclass

There's no need to tap it. Just take The MAF housing into your local hardware store and try screws until you find some that fit. I'm going back to get some that don't rust.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:49 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

There's no need to tap it. Just take The MAF housing into your local hardware store and try screws until you find some that fit. I'm going back to get some that don't rust.
Moose, I'd really appreciate it if you would note the size and let me know.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

I believe it was a 5/16"-24 tap, but I'm not 100% on that. I could pull one of the bolts and double check if you'd like.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Moose, I'd really appreciate it if you would note the size and let me know.
I think I can do that. I'll go by there today and get the info on the bolts and see if they have any that don't rust.

Quick Reply: Whipple MAF bolts: What size & help!!