Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple supercharger installed: Some notes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Default Whipple supercharger installed: Some notes.

Well, I spent the last few days installing my aluminum driveshaft, BMR adj. UCA, Brembo 6 pot brakes, Saleen HID's and of course, a Gen II Whipple HO kit.
The Whipple instructions are pretty impressive, except there are a couple things that were just not going to happen without deviating from the manual.
#1: the timing cover bolts that are torqued to 37# and then turned 90 degrees. There was NO WAY any of us were willing to turn farther then 60 degrees.
#2: On my 07, the coolant cross-over outlet (right side) contacts a timing cover bolt. So, we grinded that down on the same angle as the outlet to fit it properly.
#3: Whipple does not tap their MAF bolt holes correctly, nor did they supply any 4mm bolts as stated. Its as if they use a tapered tap, rather then a bottoming tap.
#4: There were some instructions talking about the "thermostat" assembly that only apply to 06 and earlier, but were not labled as such.
#5: Fuel cross-over line: No way in hell going to get them pushed right to the "stop". You can get them over the 3 barbs, but good luck trying to get it on farther. Engine oil or this fancy petrolem lube didnt help to get it farther. The injectors are also hard to install....takes a fair amount of force downward to get them to seat. Again, we used a white petroleum grease rather then engine oil.
#6: Torquing the supercharger to manifold bolts isnt easy. Hard to access so you torque some by hand. No big deal, since they are only 20#s...which is just "snug".
#7: None of the FRPP GT500 fuel pump harness was labled, so that made it a little annoying until we layed out the harness, and installed the other FPDM. Once you do that, you can't really put the plugs in the wrong spot. Oh, and the fuel pump is a bitch: 2 man job if you want to install it in < than a lifetime. Its a tight fit, and we ended up pushing one ridge of the covoluted hoses over the edge at a time, until the pump was low enough and free to move.

One thing that seemed odd was the gasket between manifold and blower: they say to only install gasket sealer on the manifold, not on the blower adapter. I followed the directions, and didnt notice any leaks, so I guess its all good. On a plus note, my spark plugs came out with less then 20#'s. Car has approx 16,000 miles.

Loaded the tune from VMP, car started instantly and idled smoothly. Bled the air out of the coolant system, stabbed the throttle a bit and WOOOHOOO. Damn its sounds good, and she rev's fast now.
No fuel leaks, no coolant leaks.......everything seemed to work like it should. I'll have a driving impression once I get some 3mm spacers made for my front wheels (the Saleens only clear the Brembo's by 0.5mm.....not good enough.) Good thing I'll be ordering some custom wheels right away.

For now, GET BLOWN!

Cheers.

Cataclysm

Old 03-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple supercharger installed: Some notes.

#3. I completely agree. I used my tap and die set to drill bigger holes and used my own bolts.
#5. I spent an hour getting the fuel line just as far on as you did before I said "F*ck it. That's good enough." Lol.
#6. Yes, it is truly impossible to get any sort of torque wrench into those spaces.
#7. I found the fuel pump to be surprisingly easy, except for reconnecting the gas line located in the tank. Had to get my wife to use her tiny hands for that step.

Sounds like you did a great job. The first time I started mine up, the gas gauge was at empty, even though I knew I had a 1/4 tank. Turns out one of the little wires that you remove from the old harness and insert into the new GT500 harness did not fully seat. Took me several hours to trace the problem.[&o]
Old 03-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

P.S. How much fun was it pushing that old PCV tube into the new supplied tube?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:34 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey cat, i'm glad it's all in and working. you
are now an "official" crew member

the install is something, you really only want
to have to do ONCE......it's best to look back
on it and only remember the good times
Old 03-23-2008, 12:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

#6 Crow's foot and universal joint FTW!

I thought about using some motor oil to get the fuel line on easier, but was worried about plugging an injector.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Using motor oil or another petrol grease shouldn't plug the injector, as gasoline will act as a solvent. I used motor oil on the upper injector O-rings, and this white petroleum grease on the lower ones (into the manifold). On the fuel cross-over line, we just put a little bit of the white grease on the barb (the line will push that crap back onto the barb during install, reducing the amount that may enter fuel system.) I'm hoping I have no injector problems.......hahaha.

Oh, and we installed the Stefs unit as well, using a short 6 inch piece of braided line from the valve cover to the can, and the rest of the braided hose was more then long enough to make it to the rear connection.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

cool, let's see it

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

Oh, and we installed the Stefs unit as well
Old 03-23-2008, 06:25 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

Good stuff man. Got pics? I definately can't wait for my whipple!
Hey if your getting new wheels, what are you doing with your Saleens?
Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Cataclysm, Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience, I'm knee deep in the manual, and this forum for the next 7 or so nights until my Whipple arrives.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Cataclysm - nice! Congrats man!

Where'd you pick up those 6-pot Brembo's, and what'd they run ya? I seriously need to invest in brakes.. These factory units just are NOT cutting it with the extra power..

Quick Reply: Whipple supercharger installed: Some notes.