Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Weird start up problem.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 06:47 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Weird start up problem.........

My car just started doing this about a month or two ago. I go to work at 6am and work 10 hours. When I go to start my car in the afternoon after sitting for 10 hours it will start and then stumbles a little, then rev up like it does first thing in the morning. I have days that I only work 5 hours and it doesn't do it then. It never stumbles in the morning.

I'm not to worried about it, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, supercharged or not. It's almost like the car things the engine is warm, but then changes it's mind.

Anyone think it might just be the warmer weather? On second thought it was still warm back in Sept when I installed the supercharger, so forget that.

Updated: A dirty MAF sensor seems to have caused the problem.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:54 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Weird start up problem.........

ok this is a good one.....i have to
go with throttle position sensor or
the throttle body...something
in that area....

i'd be interested to know what it turns out
to be

Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

is that the only time that it occurs? Mine would do it intermittantly. I changed my tune from 91 to the 89 tune and the problem went away. I don't know if the tune was corrupted to begin with, if there was an issue with the XCAL or what. I've stayed with the 89 tune and will investigate it at some later time. Nothing wrong with the performance of the 89 tune and saving some $$$ over premium right now isn't a bad thing either
Old 03-23-2008, 07:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

ok this is a good one.....i have to
go with throttle position sensor or
the throttle body...something
in that area....

i'd be interested to know what it turns out
to be

I think the key is the fact it doesn't do it first thing when the engine is completely cold or when the engine is warmed up. Maybe the car is pissed at me for leaving it out in the elements for 10 hours at a time. I just hope it doesn't get any worse.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:33 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Must be temperature related. Mine does the cold start stumble in the morning. The rest of the day it starts just fine. I never let it sit very long between starts during the day.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerjan

Must be temperature related. Mine does the cold start stumble in the morning. The rest of the day it starts just fine. I never let it sit very long between starts during the day.
Interesting. I was just thinking that I get home at 4-5 pm on Mondays and have to leave for work again at 430 am on Tuesday. The car always starts right up and revs to 2500rpms or so and slowly drops to 1k after about a few seconds.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 PM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

Someone on the TEAMSHELBY forum posted a similar problem,But never posted an answer.So I guessI was no help but you are not alone.I say it's in the tune.Could it be a problem with the Keep Alive Memory?You would think that it would have learned to compensate for all of your driving conditions pretty quickly,Unless the tune somehow prevented it.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 PM
sneppahtihs2005

i had this problem. took the throttle body off and cleaned it. aslo sprayed down the maf sensor with maf cleaner and has yet to do it again. been about a month.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:19 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sneppahtihs2005

i had this problem. took the throttle body off and cleaned it. aslo sprayed down the maf sensor with maf cleaner and has yet to do it again. been about a month.
I just took my filter off today to shake it out and vacuum all the large crap off. While I was at it I sprayed the maf with brake cleaner so will see what happens. I cleaned the throttle body completely when I did the whipple install, but i'll clean it again just to see if it helps.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:47 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Brake cleaner?!? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that bad for the MAF? They make specific MAF cleaner...

Quick Reply: Weird start up problem.........