Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which O/R pipe, Prochamber or H?

Old 03-29-2008, 12:15 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Default Which O/R pipe, Prochamber or H?

Does the Prochamber make as much horsepower as an H-pipe? I saw on Brenspeeds web site that the Pypes O/R H-pipe was dyno'd and provided an additional 8 hp, will the O/R Prochamber give that same additional 8 horsepower as the Pypes O/R H-pipe?

I read that Pypes has a lot of fitment issues, so I don't want to buy their O/R H-pipe, so I am really leaning towards the O/R Prochamber but I want to make sure that it is going to make the same power as the H?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:28 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which O/R pipe, Prochamber or H?

To be perfectly honest you would never be able to tell the difference in power between and H and a prochamber if there even is any difference. O/R midpipes arn't like gears or intake/tune where you can feel the difference and have that "oh Sh#t!" feeling. That being said I would DEFINETELY go with the prochamber. IMO the best midpipe hands down. The H makes it sound rattly/dirty where as the prochamber is alot more cleaned/refined. The prochamber may be more expensive but its worth the extra $.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

The hp gain issue is minimal either way. Fitment, quality of parts, and price are what to look at. Mac makes high quality, higher priced parts. pypes doesn't.If money's not an issue, I'd go with the mac.You may get lucky and get a pypes o/r h that actually fits right though. i don't belive the extra 8 hp realy.If you do the switch to an o/r h from stock, you can feel right away a loss of torque down low. If you want a quality o/r h go with the prochamber.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I wasn't hoping to find out that the O/R Prochamber made more power than the O/R H-pipe or anything like that, I would just like to make sure that I'm not going to give up any power by going with the O/R Prochamber rather than the O/R H-pipe.

Like I said, I saw on Brenspeeds web site that they had the Pypes O/R H-pipe dyno'd and it gained 8 hp over a stock set up. But I don't want the Pypes do to fitment issues, so I am considering the Mac O/R Prochamber in hopes that it will deliver the same performance gains as the O/R H-pipe.

Basically, is it the removal of the cats that is providing the 8 hp gain?

I guess I am concerned that the O/R Prochmanbers design would create more back pressure since it has that open chamber for the exhaust to flow into, expand and collect, and then have to be pushed back into the exhaust pipe and flow on back to the mufflers. Rather than just shoot straight on through to the mufflers like an H-pipe. I’m Probably just over analyzing [:@]

Also, does anyone know of any fitment issues with the Mac O/R Prochamber? I am looking for good quality components.

I didn’t originally want to go with O/R style mid pipe, that’s why I got the JBA Cat4ward headers, but now I might be changing my mind, and if I am going to go with-out cats, I want to get the most power that I can.

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:05 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brad281

The hp gain issue is minimal either way. Fitment, quality of parts, and price are what to look at. Mac makes high quality, higher priced parts. pypes doesn't.If money's not an issue, I'd go with the mac.You may get lucky and get a pypes o/r h that actually fits right though. i don't belive the extra 8 hp realy.If you do the switch to an o/r h from stock, you can feel right away a loss of torque down low. If you want a quality o/r h go with the prochamber.
Wow! Loss of torque you can feel? That is exactly the opposite of what I am trying to do. If I am going to give up emission legality, I don't want to give up any power at all. I was only considering doing it if I would gain a decent amount of power over my stock catted system. Otherwise I will probably just install a FRPP splice in X-pipe.

Why are people risking big fines and possibly not being able to pass emissions to go to an O/R style mid pipes if they are giving up power at any point in the power band?

Just want to make sure I know what I am getting into.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:52 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

I have the o/r H-pipe and I just ordered the o/r prochamber...a much, much better sound!
Old 03-29-2008, 03:04 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

I have the o/r H-pipe and I just ordered the o/r prochamber...a much, much better sound!
Did you notice any loss of low-end toque with either the O/R H-pipe or the O/R Prochamber? Any noticeable power/torque increase?

Right now I have the FRPP GTA Axel Backs (chambered muffler) and I don't have any drone at all.Will the O/R Prochamber cause any dronewith my GTA's?

And finally, how much louder will it be? I will be running my JBA Short tube headers with the Mac O/R Prochamber through my FRPP GTA chambered mufflers. I want a nice mean tone and sound, but I don't want it so loud that I can't carry on a conversation while driving down the freeway.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:16 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bkmagby

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

Did you notice any loss of low-end toque with either the O/R H-pipe or the O/R Prochamber? Any noticeable power/torque increase?

Right now I have the FRPP GTA Axel Backs (chambered muffler) and I don't have any drone at all.Will the O/R Prochamber cause any dronewith my GTA's?

And finally, how much louder will it be? I will be running my JBA Short tube headers with the Mac O/R Prochamber through my FRPP GTA chambered mufflers. I want a nice mean tone and sound, but I don't want it so loud that I can't carry on a conversation while driving down the freeway.
I think your just thinking WAAAAAY too much about it......I know doing mods on a brand new car can be scary......but changing the midpipe isn't a big deal. The HP gains from removing cats isn't that impressive. Back in lets say '92 going catless would would be more noticable because the cats/exhaust was MUCH more restrictive. On the new GT's the stock exhaust is pretty damn good already...(2.5" piping all the way back/higher flowing cats,ect). Removing the cats will yeild not much in way of HP.....You wont really notice it at all (placebo affect). Why risk it? In most cases people do it because it makes your car alot louder.....mufflers can only do so much and thats where removing the cats comes in. So considering you sound very torn.....is the louder exhaust tone worth it to you? Performance isn't really a big enough factor to base this decision on (8 hp seems very high). BTW unless you live in California emissions is a joke......and unless your car is obnoxiously loud the cops could give a ****.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:01 PM
bkmagby
1st Gear Member

As far as the 8 hp, I am just quoting what Brenspeed has on their web site. It says and I quote:

“Brenspeed hired Dynotech engineering to perform an un-biased dyno test of the off road H pipe versus the stock exhaust. The off road H pipe started making more power the instant the mustang went wide open throttle, and at only 5,000 RPM’s the Pypes H-pipe was making 8 more rear wheel horsepower and had made 10 more ft/lbs of torque.â€

I am not interested in buying the Pypes O/R H-pipe, as I have stated above. But I am curious to know if the Mac O/R Prochamber would provide the same results?

Basically, I'm asking if removing the cats from our 05+ Mustangs will really net you 8 hp and 10 ft/lbs of torque to the rear wheels? If so, then the Mac O/R Prochamber should show the same results.

As far as 8 hp seeming high, when you consider that a full Long Tube Header system with O/R pipes is supposed to net 15-18 hp, it wouldn't surprise me to see 8of that 15-18 hp come from removing the cats. I'm not saying that it does, but this is what I am trying to find out. And it seems that if Brenspeed and Dynotech are to be believed, then the cats are worth 8 hp on our cars, or Pypes has a magic H-pipe.

Also, how much louder will it make the car when removing the cats with one of these O/R pipes? I am currently running FRPP GTA’s, which are, chambered mufflers that are not much louder than the stock mufflers.

I don’t want to make the car obnoxiously loud, I would like to be able to carry on a conversation and or listen to the radio when driving down the freeway. Right now with my current GTA’s, I can here them a littlewhen I give it a little more gas to accelerate at highway speeds, but its not very loud. Just enough to here it.

And yes, I am overanalyzing it, its hell being me Ha! Ha! I just want to make sure that if I am giving up being emissions legal, that I am at least going to get something out of it. I want to know what I'm getting and know that I'm getting what I want.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bkmagby

As far as the 8 hp, I am just quoting what Brenspeed has on their web site. It says and I quote:

“Brenspeed hired Dynotech engineering to perform an un-biased dyno test of the off road H pipe versus the stock exhaust. The off road H pipe started making more power the instant the mustang went wide open throttle, and at only 5,000 RPM’s the Pypes H-pipe was making 8 more rear wheel horsepower and had made 10 more ft/lbs of torque.â€

I am not interested in buying the Pypes O/R H-pipe, as I have stated above. But I am curious to know if the Mac O/R Prochamber would provide the same results?

Basically, I'm asking if removing the cats from our 05+ Mustangs will really net you 8 hp and 10 ft/lbs of torque to the rear wheels? If so, then the Mac O/R Prochamber should show the same results.

As far as 8 hp seeming high, when you consider that a full Long Tube Header system with O/R pipes is supposed to net 15-18 hp, it wouldn't surprise me to see 8of that 15-18 hp come from removing the cats. I'm not saying that it does, but this is what I am trying to find out. And it seems that if Brenspeed and Dynotech are to be believed, then the cats are worth 8 hp on our cars, or Pypes has a magic H-pipe.

Also, how much louder will it make the car when removing the cats with one of these O/R pipes? I am currently running FRPP GTA’s, which are, chambered mufflers that are not much louder than the stock mufflers.

I don’t want to make the car obnoxiously loud, I would like to be able to carry on a conversation and or listen to the radio when driving down the freeway. Right now with my current GTA’s, I can here them a littlewhen I give it a little more gas to accelerate at highway speeds, but its not very loud. Just enough to here it.

And yes, I am overanalyzing it, its hell being me Ha! Ha! I just want to make sure that if I am giving up being emissions legal, that I am at least going to get something out of it. I want to know what I'm getting and know that I'm getting what I want.

Thanks.
I know what your saying but its still hard for me to believe 8 HP from removing the cats.....I mean I wouldnt reley on numbers like that (Horsepower TV for instance said some rediculous claim like 10-15 HP from the Flowmaster AT mufflers[:@]). How much louder depends on what you feel is loud.....some say that O/R midpipe with muffler deletes isn't loud yet some say my Mac axlebacks are tooloud[8D]. It will be a fair amount louder then they are now......and as far as emissions.....like I said before they are a joke (unless your in Cali). Here in WI it is soooooooooo easy to pass it without cats.........IDK why they even waste their time or mine with it. Here are some clips of another member who has the prochamber/GTA's.......remember sound clips dont really do much justice.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bnQn1ce_qkU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ND-uhV8Jkb8
Oh yeah and looking at your sig with all those mods (intake/tune....gears) I have a feeling you would be very dissapointed with the gains/ seat of the pants feeling from no cats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which O/R pipe, Prochamber or H?