Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SPEC Clutch and Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 PM
godminus1
2nd Gear Member

Default SPEC Clutch and Flywheel?

After lots of reading and thinking, I've decided that I want a Whipple.

Before I do that, I want to upgrade my clutch and flywheel, as well as finish my suspension.

What kind of experiences have you all had with the SPECs? I'm looking at their stage 3, with their aluminum flywheel.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SPEC Clutch and Flywheel?

Personally I would never purchase a spec clutch just because of hearing all the bad talk about how it can be really hard on your transmission. I purchased a McLeod clutch rated at 800 ft/lb of torque. And I gotta tell you, this clutch took one hell of a beatin. I also know Steeda used to sell spec and recently dumped them and now sell McLeod because of problems...
Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

the trouble has only been with the 2+ from what I've read.

I put a 3+ in and so far (about 400 miles - lightly driven for the most part) is been good. get the 3+ not the 3 due to the full face nature its a friendlier model for the street.

BTW - u can keep the stock FW if you want to save a few $
Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

You've been posting an awful lot in the 05-08 section lately.. Did you get a new car?? Just wondering, I mean, they aren't exactly the same car..

But I'm this thread close, I need a new clutch.. Today, on my way to work I downshifted 5 -> 3, mashed it to pass a couple of cars, got a ROAR and little accelleration, and smelled clutch for about 1/2 mile..
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 PM
godminus1
2nd Gear Member

Chris, what grade is your K-80?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I have a Spec'sII plus and have had nothing but problem go to modular fords and you will see at least 50 other people with similiar issues.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I've got over a thousand miles on my Spec II and I still get clutch shudder at low RPMs in 4th gear. If I could do it over again, I would have bought the Mcleod.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:08 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

All I got to say is don't buy a Spec's shop around, and post like crazy and see what other people are using. As a matter of fact why don't you give them a call and ask them to read this forum and others, they can even send me a PM and I will give them the what's up.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

Personally I would never purchase a spec clutch just because of hearing all the bad talk about how it can be really hard on your transmission. I purchased a McLeod clutch rated at 800 ft/lb of torque. And I gotta tell you, this clutch took one hell of a beatin. I also know Steeda used to sell spec and recently dumped them and now sell McLeod because of problems...
How is a spec clutch any harder on the transmission than any other performance clutch?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

I've got over a thousand miles on my Spec II and I still get clutch shudder at low RPMs in 4th gear. If I could do it over again, I would have bought the Mcleod.
What exactly causes the clutch to chatter or shudder? Surely you don't have to spend $1k on a clutch to avoid chatter.

Quick Reply: SPEC Clutch and Flywheel?