Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question regarding oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Gryphon
1st Gear Member

Default Question regarding oil

Hey guys,

Before we start, I did do a search on the topic and found bits and pieces, but I wanted to askthe question just to clarify.

Im getting close to my first oil change since I bought the car. She will have roughly 11k miles on it and its a 2005 GT. What type of oil should I use? I dont do my own changes (something I should do....) and I will have it done at a local oil change place. Do I need to use synthetic? Semi-synthetic? I dont want to use something that will obviously hurt my engine, but I want to make sure I get the good quality stuff and its the right kind. Also what brand of oil is recommended? I know its about personal preference and everyone has their own opinions. Im just looking for general information on what you all use.

If anyone has input or help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question regarding oil

Well, we're here to help but there are manu threads on your very question. Most suggest a full synthetic and 5000 mile oil changes. Some, like me, aren't comfortable going that long and do it at 3000 miles. Most that change at 3000 miles use a blend, to save a little money. Never use conventional oil. We are out of the stone age. I use the Motorcraft 5-20 every 3000 miles with a Motorcraft filter, both are found at Walmart now days.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Gryphon
1st Gear Member

Perfect thanks a bunch. Full synthetic was my main question. I heard not to use full untill 15k miles...then I heard it doesnt matter...then I heard wait till 20k...figured just to ask.

Anywho, question answered.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

When my car was new, I changed the oil at 700 miles to full synthetic Mobil 1. I wanted to get the breakin slivers and crud out of it before they became abrasive. Didn't hurt it. Now at 13K miles, don't use a drop from doing it that way. I have since gone back to the blend like I said above.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I used full syn Mobil1 since the first oil change after 800 miles.....no problems and she feel strong and fast! Great oil to use IMO... J
Old 04-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't switch to a full synthetic untill around 5000 miles, just to make sure the seals are seated properly. But 11K? You can definitely go to a full synthetic if you want. I use redline 5w-20 which is a complete full synthetic, and change mine every 3,000 miles because I drive pretty hard, and also I enjoy doing my own oil changes.

You could use dino oil if you wanted as long as you change it regularly. But I wouldn't go with anything less than the motorcraft blend personally.

Make sure you WATCH that oil change like a hawk, and mark your filer, so you know they actually changed it.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burnsy

I wouldn't switch to a full synthetic untill around 5000 miles, just to make sure the seals are seated properly. But 11K? You can definitely go to a full synthetic if you want. I use redline 5w-20 which is a complete full synthetic, and change mine every 3,000 miles because I drive pretty hard, and also I enjoy doing my own oil changes.

You could use dino oil if you wanted as long as you change it regularly. But I wouldn't go with anything less than the motorcraft blend personally.

Make sure you WATCH that oil change like a hawk, and mark your filer, so you know they actually changed it.

In the owner's manual, Ford suggests that optimum fuel efficiency won't be obtained until 2000 miles which suggests that is the breakin period, although they do say no break in is required. It all has to do with the cross hatch cylinder pattern and old school beliefs. I really don't think you can screw up a modern car no matter what you do as long as you have frequent oil changes,
Old 04-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

When in doubt, follow the manual. I've used synthetic as well as conventional in various cars through the years and I don't have a single shred of evidence to support the synthetic making any difference whatsoever.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

I used Motorcraft blend for around 30k miles. Now i use Mobil 1. I see nothing wrong with the factory stuff.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: Burnsy

In the owner's manual, Ford suggests that optimum fuel efficiency won't be obtained until 2000 miles which suggests that is the breakin period, although they do say no break in is required. It all has to do with the cross hatch cylinder pattern and old school beliefs. I really don't think you can screw up a modern car no matter what you do as long as you have frequent oil changes,
+1 great advise

Quick Reply: Question regarding oil