Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

budget forced induction?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: budget forced induction?

Buy used! But buyer beware....

I have seen several Twin Screw Intercooled Whipples w/ GT500 Pumps and Series VI Saleens (often set up like a JDM Stage I) go for $3000-4000 in the last several weeks.

Try all the different Mustang Sites + ebay and Cragslist but protect yourself.
Mod Ford in particular seems to have a lot of blowers in the classifieds.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

hey, Guru.
be patient and get what you REALLY want. the paxton is a great kit, so is the whipple. but you know all about the SC debates so i wont go into what'sbetter and all that. but a SC is a big investment, dont rush into anything, and get what YOU want.

i dunno man. if it was my choice, i'd get the whipple.

but...........i'm a) probably not going to have enough money, b) if i don't get it by the end of the summer, i'm not going to be working during school, so i'd be SOL and i dunno if i'd have all the $ left over by next summer.

it feels like now or never, u know?

i think as long as it adds like 100 HP, and won't blow up my motor or self-destruct for a good long time, any s/c will make me happy.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 PM
hypersurf1
2nd Gear Member

If I could do it again I would have gotten the Paxton or Vortech non IC. I have the Paxton 2200 IC and quite frankly it puts out more HP then I could ever use on the street. On the track with slicks I guarantee I would blow out my driveshaft, rear, clutch, tranny, and shortblock if i push her hard. You can get the Paxton 1200 or the Vortech S for low 3,000's. The Paxton is available with the self lubricating which means no tapping your oil pan, similiar to the Procharger. I hear that the Paxton and the Vortech in non IC will put out 420-450rwhp if tuned right. Basically you will run with most/all stockWhipples, Saleens, and KB's for 3000 dollars less. Best bang for the buck. IMHO that is plenty of HP for the street...Unless you plan to race it which will require alot more work to support the blower. I hope this helps you.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:45 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

well.....the paxton 1200 SL is sounding like the best for me now. cheapish, makes decent power on the low end compared to the vortech, good unit altogether. i don't trust vortech........too many friends with vortech blowers have had big problems with them.

i don't need huge, monstrous, 480 rwhp or anything like that. i'm looking for 400-420 rwhp, reliable. maybe a tune for 450 RWHP for the track or something, but i wanna keep it safe, since i'll probably start out without an intercooler, and upgrade it later.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 PM
hypersurf1
2nd Gear Member

What area do you live in? Brenspeed,IAand Sutton, ILboth have 600 dollar ish installs on the paxtons.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hypersurf1

What area do you live in? Brenspeed,IAand Sutton, ILboth have 600 dollar ish installs on the paxtons.

south florida[:@] i was thinking it might actually be worth it to make the trip, since i trust brenspeed 100000000000000000000000000000% and thats a pretty damn good price.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i know what you mean. i was gonna wait till later too for the SC, but i just couldnt wait, had to have it.maybe this summer you could add the blower, then next summer the IC. we'll all be waiting for the Guru's next 'review' video, this time of your SC![sm=gears.gif]
Old 04-07-2008, 04:17 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Not trying to sound like a parent, but if you're planning on getting together barely enough money to afford a supercharger, then you shouldn't be buying a supercharger. Wait until you are out of school and can better afford it.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:24 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Yeah you might want to budget out enough money for a clutch as well since it seems like a lot of people go through the stock clutch within 6 months of getting their F/I installed.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 AM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

When buying a supercharger.... Theres a fine print.... Your also gonna need......

1)Gauges - Wideband,Boost and Fuel Pressure
2)Suspension - Keeping the power to the ground
3)Clutch - You need a great clutch to hold up that power (shifting)
4) Wider tires in the rear - You need it to maintain traction on the street
5)I see you go to track... Your gonna want low numbers... So I would HIGHLY recommend an Axle Brace.. so you don't bend that rear end (No homo)

and last but not least.... No matter what... your gonna want more power as the time goes by.. It happens to everyone...

Quick Reply: budget forced induction?