Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Savanah07
1st Gear Member

Default Header Question

I've been reading some of the posts on headers, but i find my simple questions not answered. Hope you guys can clarify for me.

1. If getting LTs, do i have to replace my mid muffler system to compliment it? Or is there an lt that fits our stock system?

2. as a dd, not going to s/c no time soon. Is Lt or short headers the way to go?

3. I.ve done delete plates... could i do the header installation myself?

4. would you do cams first, or headers?

Thanks for the help.

07 gt. cmcv delete, steeda udp, K&N cai, Flowmaster axle back, 93 tune Brenspeed
Old 04-06-2008, 08:45 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Header Question

Do a search on the V8 specific forum under "headers" and you will find plenty of differing info:

Nuts of bolts of it is this:

Shorty's are good for DD and increase power/torque in the mid range (3.5k rpm - 5.5k), however, at WOT above 5.5K rpm the shorty's actually may lose 2-5 hp/tq at the rear wheels. L/T's retain very good top end numbers, better than shorty's but you must determine what your application is. For track use where you need a lot of top end power, LT's are the way to go. Fort average daily spirited driving, shorty's will provide very usable power.

I believe, L/T's will not directly bolt up to stock exhaust and usually are sold as a system with downpipe (catted or uncatted).

Header installation is possible but recommended only for people who are relatively versed in mechanics. Headers are well known to be a pain in the *** during install because they fit in a tight area. L/T's are more difficult to install than shorties. Install takes anywhere from 3-8 hours, depending on available tools, hyrdaulic lift, friend helping etc...

Found this torqu/hp info for BBK shorties from another thread. Hope it helps.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...o_results.html

As far as cams or headers first, someone else with more knowledge needs to chime in on that.

Also, most headers are not CARB 50 state legal - exception are JBA and Edelbrocks. If you require smog visual inspections (req'd in CA) you may want to retain your street legal-ness. Some states it doesn't matter.

Last issue with headers is heat soak -heat generated from the headers which hinders engine performance. I've heard that stainless steel headers give off more heat than the stock manifold = not good. But ceramic coated headers retain heat the best. aside from extreme use titanium coated headers for hard core race appications. IF heat is an issue ceramic headers are optimum as they more retain the exhaust heat internally and dispell it through the exhaust down pipes.

That is it in a nut shell based off my review of the many headers threads on this forum. I am sure someone with more knowledge could chime in and provide you more reliable insight.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Savanah07
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Header Question

thanks a lot for the input. That does help me out