Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

De-Turbo'd

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 AM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Default De-Turbo'd

Well I am taking the turbo off my car and going back all motor!! Dont get me wrong the turbo is great but I cant afford FI right now (race gas, spark plugs, tires, repairs, etc....) so I will be back to bolt ons but mark my words gentlemen..........The beast will be back 7X after I graduate from college.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: De-Turbo'd

someone's gonna get a smokin deal
on a hellion turbo kit

you can't keep a good beast down, i know
it'll be back meaner then ever

Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM
nhvickery
2nd Gear Member

yea man, let us know if ur getting rid of the turbo and for how much
Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 AM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Bummer..........will miss the good stories
Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

You know better than me, but is it really worth it. Never looked at used turbo kits but I can think you can get more than $4k for it. To buy it all back would cost alot more. Why not just tone down the performance and run it at like 8psi. You already dropped the coin on the forged shortblock and all.

Sad to see FI go, but if you have to, I understand.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

I sold mine for Hellion kit for 3200.00. I might could have gotten a little more for it but I was sick of it.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Yeah I have had my fun but damn is it expensive. It seems like every other week I am dropping another 1,000 dollars into the damn thing its getting old especially trying to pay for college at the same time. I miss the good ole days of just getting into my car and driving without worrying if it is gonna throw an engine code or melt a spark plug. I will let the whole kit go for the right price. Includes 60# injectors w/ adapters, mafia, Autometer wide band (bung already welded onto turbo piping), boost gauge, dual a pillar pod, turboXs racing bypass valve. Pretty much everything except the fuel pumps. Send me a pm with what you want to offer and I will see if it is in the range I would like to get out of it.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
cenotaph
1st Gear Member

That's an interesting statement. I didn't know turbo was such a pain in the ***. I was considering a supercharger to get around 420rwhp.

Can I expect the same amount of headache and expense?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:33 AM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

You have to pay to play bro and that all there is to say.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:24 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cenotaph

That's an interesting statement. I didn't know turbo was such a pain in the ***. I was considering a supercharger to get around 420rwhp.

Can I expect the same amount of headache and expense?
No any good supercharger kit will give you that power easy at around 8psi. Also at that power level your risk of breaking something is pretty small unless you really beat on the car. Treat it nice and all should be well. Any time you go forced induction though you have to be prepared for the consequences. No one can gaurantee something bad wont happen. But IMO with a good kit and tune you could have 100,000 miles trouble free at that power level.

Kits to look at: Whipple (my fav), Saleen, Kenne Bell, Procharger, Vortech, Paxton.

Any one of those would be great.

To the OP, I would still just pull the performance way back to 450rwhp and with your mods I would think the car would be 100% reliable, then in the future when you want to play turn it back up.

When I was in college, I would eat ramen, for a week to fill my nitrous bottle. I know its hard and having a car like that would be nuts.

Totally your decision but I have sold things in the past, when I thought it was a good idea, and then kicked myself later because I wanted it back. Just trying to save you some pain.