Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:31 PM
tofast4u1989

Default fuel additives

im just curious what you guys think of running fuel additives from time to time. i like to run stp gas treatment every now and then and i run stp fuel injector clearner when ever i change the oil. what do u guys do???
Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: fuel additives

TECHRON. Period
Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Techtron prior to every oil change. I get 4 bottles at Costco for like $10.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I have only heard of people having problems with additives. Mostly though, octane boosters that will foul the plugs.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

I have only heard of people having problems with additives. Mostly though, octane boosters that will foul the plugs.
Techron is recommended by most, if not all manufactures (including Ford). Be sure to get the larger bottle that treats 20 gal. I put it in every 5K miles.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:28 PM
tofast4u1989

what do you think of stp
Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

To those that use Techron - I used to be an avid BMW fan. Years ago BMW was selling Techron at the dealership and recommending it as a fuel additive. Then they found out that if the Techron wasn't eating the stuff it was supposed to eat it was eating the BMW engine itself. They stopped selling Techron and let the customer know why.

While in CA I used a little bit of Red Line fuel cleaner in every tank full in my BMW. When I sold it at 369k miles three out of four injectors will still original. Three of four of the factory clear see-through fuel lines were still original, and still see-through.

Now living in NC where Red Line fuel cleaner is less available I started using Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment. Over the years and 269k miles on the BMW and the 168k miles on my GMC I tried many different fuel cleaners. I HAVE NEVER FELT THE POSITIVE CHANGE AS I HAVE FELT WITH THE LUCAS OIL PRODUCT! Even throttle response got much more responsive. My wife was actually breaking the tires loose on the GMC by accident, never done by her before. I feel better response in both the Mustang GT and GMC.

Try it! And yes, I've used the STP product. Never FELT the change.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:46 PM
cadillo

ORIGINAL: algregory

To those that use Techron - I used to be an avid BMW fan. Years ago BMW was selling Techron at the dealership and recommending it as a fuel additive. Then they found out that if the Techron wasn't eating the stuff it was supposed to eat it was eating the BMW engine itself. They stopped selling Techron and let the customer know why.

While in CA I used a little bit of Red Line fuel cleaner in every tank full in my BMW. When I sold it at 369k miles three out of four injectors will still original. Three of four of the factory clear see-through fuel lines were still original, and still see-through.

Now living in NC where Red Line fuel cleaner is less available I started using Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment. Over the years and 269k miles on the BMW and the 168k miles on my GMC I tried many different fuel cleaners. I HAVE NEVER FELT THE POSITIVE CHANGE AS I HAVE FELT WITH THE LUCAS OIL PRODUCT! Even throttle response got much more responsive. My wife was actually breaking the tires loose on the GMC by accident, never done by her before. I feel better response in both the Mustang GT and GMC.

I recently started using the Lucas Fuel Treatment in both my GT and my '06 F-150 with 15,000 miles on it. I can't tell much difference in the GT, but the F-150 idles and runs much smoother, has noticably better throttle response, and gets on average a little over one mile per gallon more in city driving. That might not sound like much, but going from 13 to 14 mpg is like getting two extra gallons per fillup. It pays for the product, which along with the increased performance, justifies my buying it.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

I don't know Dude, I have been using Techron for at least 10 years in many cars and have never had a problem. I know a lot of people that use it and they've never had a problem. I've also never had a fuel system problem either. I will go on using it.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:03 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i also use lucas...doesnt hurt to run a can of seafoam through every once in a while either

Quick Reply: fuel additives