Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how to clean throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 PM
tofast4u1989

Default how to clean throttle body

so i bought crc throttle body cleaner. now i need to know how to clean the throttle body lol!!! i also bought crc mass air flow sensor cleaner and im not sure how to clean that eighther so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how to clean throttle body

Same here. Bought both but a little uneasy about doing it. The throttle body should be fairly easy. A local radio car guru says just use some soft cloth, a wooden stick and the cleaner. You don't want to scratch the inside , that's why you use the wooden spoon or stick. He says to make sure to get all the gook from the throttle plates and the bores where the plates seat. Makes sense to me.

The MAF sensor is a bit more scary. I took mine out, took a look at it and put it right back in.I guess as long as you're using a cleaner that is designed for the job, you just spray heck out of it, let it dry and re-install. I'd like to hear from somebody that has done it before I start.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

For the throttle body remove the inlet tube and then remove the throttle body (4 bolts) so that you can clean behind the plates too. Straight forward. I just removed it sprayed it down, wiping it clean with paper towel or you can use cloth if you want to. I don't know why you would need a wooden stick. You cant get behind the butterfly's without removing the TB.

For the MAF sensor you don't have to spray it heavily. A little shot should be just fine but let it dry completely before turning you car over.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

i just did both two weeks ago. when you clean the MAF, disconnect it completely from the car (rmove the wiring harness) spray it down liberally....make sure you spray it from all angles. Make sure you use ONLY maf cleaner, anything else will damage it.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

i just did both two weeks ago. when you clean the MAF, disconnect it completely from the car (rmove the wiring harness) spray it down liberally....make sure you spray it from all angles. Make sure you use ONLY maf cleaner, anything else will damage it.
I guess I haven't sprayed enough brake cleaner on mine yet to damage it. While I don't condone the use of brake cleaner, I also don't think your statement is entirely true.

As for cleaning the MAF. Don't touch it, just spray it and let it drip dry. I've read about people using Qtips and shiot, i woudn't do that.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a plan! I too have heard only MAF cleaner should be used.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
coji5gt
1st Gear Member

After working at a Ford dealership for a couple years, I have yet to see ANYONE use a MAF cleaning agent. We did not even carry any, only brake clean... Do not use carb cleaner though, it leaves a bit of a film.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I guess I haven't sprayed enough brake cleaner on mine yet to damage it. While I don't condone the use of brake cleaner, I also don't think your statement is entirely true.

As for cleaning the MAF. Don't touch it, just spray it and let it drip dry. I've read about people using Qtips and shiot, i woudn't do that.

well, i stand corrected......and at least now your MAF won't squeal when you come to a stop!!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 AM
cartel
2nd Gear Member

In the March 2008 Modified Mustang Magazine on page 45, they talk about using brake part cleaner on your MAF sensor. Its ok to use anythingas long as itdoes not leave a film behind. When a film or oil is left on the sensor it can collect dust and act as an insulator, thus shielding the air flow around it, the sensor signals that far less air is entering the engine than actually is. The car's computer obediently reduces the amount of fuel flow in proportion and, nothing good can come of it all.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I swear MAF cleaner is the same as brake cleaner just different labels! JMO J
ORIGINAL: cartel

In the March 2008 Modified Mustang Magazine on page 45, they talk about using brake part cleaner on your MAF sensor. Its ok to use anythingas long as itdoes not leave a film behind. When a film or oil is left on the sensor it can collect dust and act as an insulator, thus shielding the air flow around it, the sensor signals that far less air is entering the engine than actually is. The car's computer obediently reduces the amount of fuel flow in proportion and, nothing good can come of it all.

Quick Reply: how to clean throttle body