Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Powershift

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

Default Powershift

Ok how do you powershift correctly. I assume you leave the gas to the floor, but do you use the clutch at all or do you just slam it from gear to gear? How much time does this gain?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Wildmatt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Powershift

Keep the gas to the floor and then just stab the clutch while shifting hard.

It can gain a 10th or 2 depending on how slow you are shifting otherwise.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:40 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

its pretty difficult in the s197, practice shifting with the throttle not fully off before you try and flat-foot shifts. i can shift with the throttle still halfway in from 1-2, same from 2-3, but 3-4 can be legitimately flat-foot powershifted.

get some torque braces/torque limiters/stiffer motor mounts or something; it'll make it easier to powershift.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

In addition to not lifting the throttle, a true 'powershift' is finding the point on the clutch pedal where the clutch actually engages. Specifically, time is lost on the strip in the reaction from head to foot, the then the reation of pressing the clutch pedal in, and then shifting.

All clutch pedals have a 'give point' where the clutch will engage and it's not when the clutch is pressed to the floor. Most cars are around the same general area, but to be perfect, you should find your exact spot. You press the clutch only enough to engage it while staying WOT. That is a true powershift and why it's a big advantage at the track for those who can do it properly.

It's also an easy way to miss a shift if you don't know what you're doing & try not using a clutch at all at the track and see what happens to your tranny...

However, proper powershifting can knock a good 3 tenths off your ET if you are good at it. It takes some practice to get it down and then it's just reflex.

Big +1 to having a k-member brace and torque limiters. Almost a necessity to powershift properly in the S197.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Powershifting scares me. What happens if you screw up and instead of going from 3-4 you go 3-2? Engine kaboom?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:17 PM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

I should be done in 3rd so i wont have to powershiftfrom 3-4. What are the torques limiters you guys are talking about? K-Member brace?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:41 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

Powershifting scares me. What happens if you screw up and instead of going from 3-4 you go 3-2? Engine kaboom?

that's pretty much impossible in an S197; it won't let you. but if you don't feel comfortable doing it, practice first.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

How is it not going to let you? How is it impossible?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: chadlet

I should be done in 3rd so i wont have to powershiftfrom 3-4. What are the torques limiters you guys are talking about? K-Member brace?

http://www.cheperformance.com/cartge...208&cid=15
Old 04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

How is it not going to let you? How is it impossible?
You should never hit 2nd going for 4th if you are shifting properly(By properly, I mean proper technique). Keeping my thumb off the shifter greatly reduced my missed shifts.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Im..._Shifting.html

I don't know what kind of safe guards the transmission has, but I know it keeps you from shifting into first over a certain speed.

Quick Reply: Powershift