Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Avoid Getting Towed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Default Avoid Getting Towed

I understand that when you get towed, most of the time for us the a hole towing needs to break into the car and release the parking break if you backed in and he will do just that. This is an idea that may or may not work.

Is it possible to take off the door panels and disconnect or remove the linkage inside the door that locks and unlocks so the only way to open the door is electronically (via key). This may or may not be the case with our cars and maybe there is not even a linkage inside the door that does this, but this would also help with getting broken into.

Thank you for you all replies
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Avoid Getting Towed

well...you would still need a "linkage" regardless...that electronic signal from the key just activates it, there has to be a mechanical way for it to open the lock.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:30 AM
trigger06
2nd Gear Member

Dont park where you shouldn't be parking..... That's how you avoid getting towed.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:01 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slySTANGguy

I understand that when you get towed, most of the time for us the a hole towing needs to break into the car and release the parking break if you backed in and he will do just that. This is an idea that may or may not work.

Is it possible to take off the door panels and disconnect or remove the linkage inside the door that locks and unlocks so the only way to open the door is electronically (via key). This may or may not be the case with our cars and maybe there is not even a linkage inside the door that does this, but this would also help with getting broken into.

Thank you for you all replies
There are a couple of flaws with the theory about breaking into a car backed in.

(1) Breaking in a releasing the parking break will do nothing for the rear wheels of an automatic.

(2) Most, if not all, the tow trucks our here are the flatbed variety, and they will just haul your car up on the bed with the wheels screeching all the way.

(3) Even the old school tow trucks would just pull you out of the space far enough to hook your rear and tow you away. No break-in needed.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 AM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

He doesn't need toworry about your whells being lockedif he's got a flatbed tow truck. He just drags it up there with his winch and then tilts the bed back up.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
frd06GT
2nd Gear Member

^^Yep. The repo guys around here have those hot shots or w/e. (a 1 ton with a two wheel lift under the bumper). You see the guys back up to a car, grab it, and pull it out of the spot. They pull slow so the tires dont screech to loud. Then they drop the car, drive around to the back end, pick and go. All of this in about 90 seconds.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

As above, I don't think your e-brake will stop you from getting towed. However, in an answer to your question... I did some work inside a door on my old Mercury Villager minivan, and I think that there were two linkages. One went from the electric locks motor to the lock, and the other from the manual switch to the lock. So you might be able to disconnect the door handle from the locking mechanism and leave the electric part attached. However, I've never had one of my door panels off so I can't say for sure.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:05 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

A car can be towed no matter what. Like others said, they will drag it up on the flat bed if they have to. There are even trucks out there with the ability to pull up beside the car and, like a crane, lift it up on the truck. So even parallel parked, you can get towed.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

[:@][:@]IF SOMEONE EVEN TRIED TO TOW MY CAR............................................... ....... no comment but it wouldnt be wise
Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burnsy

well...you would still need a "linkage" regardless...that electronic signal from the key just activates it, there has to be a mechanical way for it to open the lock.
Shave the handles and get an electric popper. Problem solved. You could remove all the linkage.

Quick Reply: Avoid Getting Towed