Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

question about best intake for mpg

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
cdawg
1st Gear Member

Default question about best intake for mpg

Hey guys, I'm new here. I just bought an '05 GT Convertible with 6,000 miles. It has the automatic. I don't drive a lot, but when I do it is mostly highway miles. My car has the Ford Racing shorty headers and Ford Racing exhaust system (M-523005-GT). I want to put a CAI on it, with the hopes of improving both the gas mileage and performance. It runs great as is, and sounds awesome but if I can just get a couple more miles-per-gallon I'd be pretty happy.

Any suggestions on which CAI will work well with my exhaust? Also, any idea how much the horsepower has increased over factory with this exhaust installed?

Thanks a lot fellas.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: question about best intake for mpg

Use the search feature. Tons of info on this.

A CAI alone will net you little, if any, mileage and performance gains. The CAI & tune combo's might net you about 1, perhaps 2 MPG increase (and even that has been debated at great lengths here) but WILL net you about 15-30 HP increase, depending on the tune. The shortiesprovide little HP gain on these cars over the stock headers. Same thing for the FRPP GT's (my FRPP Stingers are the same as the GT's). The stock exhaust system flow very well for a stock system.

If you're worried about fuel mileage, park your Stang in the garage and walk or ride a bike. We bought these cars for their performance, NOT for their fuel efficiency. The best you might gain with ANY mod is 1-2 MPG so, at best, you might save 1 gallon per tankfull. Assuming you save 1 gallon/week,youprobably wouldrather give up soda or Starbuck's coffee a few days a week and put that money towards the measley 1 gallon that you worry about.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:20 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I noticed about a 2-3 mpg increase when I was running just a C&L Steet intake and a canned Diablosport tune.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:01 PM
RedStang06
2nd Gear Member

If you want better gas mileage go buy yourself a Toyota Prius.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I drive in 2nd gear all the time at 6300 rpm cause my exhaust sounds really good at that spot. Who cares about mileage?

What's wrong with you people?

The guy want's to get a couple of mpg's and you jump on him.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

[]
I'm sorry... (sniff...).

Old 04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
ab
2nd Gear Member

It's about smiles per mile right
Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ab

It's about smiles per mile right
AMEN lol.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 PM
cdawg
1st Gear Member

What part of "with the hopes of improving both the gas mileage and performance" do some of you guys not understand? I was just wondering if there is any intake that would do so. It's not like I want to put a restrictor plate on it.

Anyhow, great cars. I haven't owned a Mustang since the mid nineties, when I had an 88GT vert.

Thanks to the guys who helped.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

Anytime you mention anything about mileage here people act like you're trying to put a 4 cylinder in your car.

Cdawg, I've used both the C&L racer intake and the Steeda, I didn't notice much of a mileage difference with either, but considering the additional horsepower from the intake and tune, I considered it a victory for not losing any mileage.

Mods that I noticed a big mileage gains with were; Spydershaft 1 piece aluminum driveshaft, 1-2 mpg, Steeda underdrive pullies,~1 mpg, and offroad x pipe (Bassani), 1 mpg. I average about 27 on the highway, and 24 overall.

Gas mileage seems to be a taboo subject around here. Like you're an @sshole for trying to save a couple of bucks, or just make your car more efficient.

Quick Reply: question about best intake for mpg